Friday, June 8, 2012

. . . And That's All That I Am

_____

Prologue To A Book Never To Be Written is the title of a piece I just finished reading for the third, fourth, fifth or more times. And still I am as mystified as I was the first time I read it. The mystery is not so much in its elusive meanings as is in the why I feel so earnestly compelled to reread it so carefully and so often. Perhaps it is the suspicion that I am missing the point (or multiple points) of this curious composition.

Although . . . that I consistently miss the point or fail to understand the meanings of (supposed) classics and revered masterpieces written by historically famous authors and deep thinkers has been apparent (to me, anyway) throughout my lifetime.

The Works of William Shakespeare have always been and still remain puzzles to me, and for the most part I am absolutely dependent upon the explanations of teachers and scholars (or Cliff Notes) to gain from them even a modicum of understanding. The characters depicted in Julius Caesar seem to be fantasy figures drawn by some fanciful artist of the times, playing to the expectations of both the elite and the rabble of those times.

And, William Faulkner, whose books and stories I have read time and time again never deign to reveal their oft proclaimed secret wisdoms to me.

So, it is evidently some deficit in my cognition that is at fault.

Why?

Perhaps it is no more than Popeye's self-revelation, "I yam what I yam."

_____

WORD FOR TODAY

tin god
noun
1. A pompous, self-important person.
2. A person who regards himself or herself as infallible and tries to dictate standards of behavior or beliefs.


BORN ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY


Barbara Bush

Born June 8, 1925
She is 86 years old

Barbara Pierce Bush is the wife of the 41st President of the United States George H. W. Bush, and served as First Lady of the United States from 1989 to 1993. She is the mother of the 43rd President George W. Bush and of the 43rd Governor of Florida Jeb Bush. Previously she had served as Second Lady of the United States from 1981 to 1989.


Born June 8, 1927
He is 84 years old

Gerald Isaac "Jerry" Stiller is an American comedian and actor. He spent many years in the comedy team Stiller and Meara with his wife Anne Meara. Stiller and Meara are the parents of actor Ben Stiller. He is best known for his recurring role as Frank Costanza on the television series Seinfeld and his supporting role as Arthur Spooner on the television series The King of Queens.


Born June 8, 1940
She is 71 years old

Nancy Sandra Sinatra is an American singer and actress. She is the daughter of singer/actor Frank Sinatra, and remains best known for her 1966 signature hit These Boots Are Made for Walkin'.

_____
__________

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.
--Will Durant

No comments:

Post a Comment