Sunday, November 23, 2014

11/23/14

     


____________________

"Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth."
--Albert Camus

A few minutes ago, I was sitting and watching an old movie, Funny Girl, starring Barbara Streisand when that quiet inner voice I usually ignore spoke up, much louder than it speaks most times, and, surprisingly, this time I listened, hearing: "Oh God, I am so unhappy." Contrary to always before, I immediately spoke up, out loud, asking myself, "Why are you unhappy?" And again immediately, I replied: "Because I am not writing the fiction stories I want to write."

Why not?

Because it's so hard, and I am so lazy.

Good Gravy! That's not a good excuse. Just because something is not easy, but is hard, is not a reason for doing nothing. Just ask President John F. Kennedy.

I want to write fiction; I need to write fiction. Why? Because I have some things to say. And because I have a family and friends who deserve not to be hurt by my truthful words, I can not present harmful things as facts, but only by saying and showing these truths through the speech and the actions of fictional characters.

Or so it seems, to me anyway.

__________

"Fiction reveals truth that reality obscures."
--Jessamyn West



No comments:

Post a Comment