Tuesday, January 24, 2012

No Title Comes To Mind


_____

A lustrum is a period of five years, just as a decade is a period of ten years and a century is a period of one hundred years. So, I wonder why the word is so infrequently used, and why it has never caught on. I first heard the word used and defined to John Wayne in the movie Rooster Cogburn.

Judge Parker: "You have served this court for almost two lustrums."
Rooster Cogburn: "What's a lustrum, Judge?"
Judge Parker: "Five years. Don't interrupt me."


Rooster Cogburn



I don't remember ever hearing the word again... don't know why. Seems like a perfectly good word, to me.
_____

"Women and Children First!" Or At Least Children? is the title of a well written piece I read this morning at the quarkscrew website describing a recent spate of ugliness toward young women and children.

I highly recommend it.
_____

Born On This Day



Born January 24,1862
Died August 11, 1937


I have never read anything written by Edith Wharton, but I've read a lot about her and about her work. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to it.

__________

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.
--Edith Wharton

No comments:

Post a Comment