Sunday, January 12, 2014

The War Is Over by Guest Blogger

   
The War Is Over

Actually, several wars are over. The War over which side of our road would be demolished for a rearrangement of the big curve by our house was officially over quite some time ago; when the business owner across the street, gracefully bowed out of the battle and voiced his willingness to relocate. Then in November of that year, he died.

Since that time, we've wondered if the battle would be rejoined, if all those meetings and letters stood for nothing. We've concentrated on making HexHouse into a home, but not too much, because we didn't trust that the vote would stay in our favor.

Well, we've finally gotten the word. The Road Widening Project will start in July of this year. The new road will go through the bar across the street, as well as the trucking company and the small mobile home park behind it. (And two fields.) Rumor has it the bar will close sometime in April.

The second war is the continuing battle inside our home. HexHouse is getting a facelift, a tummy tuck, liposuction, and a waxing. The Fox Room has been painted (light brown), the linoleum in the kitchen has been ripped up, fixtures have started to arrive, and I've had a few more lessons.

Now I know:

* If the workers leave a three and a half foot long, 150,000 BTU construction heater in your new room, check to see that it's unplugged before you go to bed

* If a window gets removed, insist that the crew check it for leaks before they leave for the day

* Make sure your electrical box fuses are clearly marked; the one for the A/C should NOT say "Garage Door Opener"

* Check that all lights and plugs work whenever anyone works anywhere on your electrical system

* Don't give up liquor for Lent in the middle of construction.

The last war is my battle with Toastmasters. When I started in this club, I was nauseous from the time I realized I had to speak until well after the meeting was over. Then I was only nauseous the day of the meeting. Then just an hour or so before. Now, I think I've graduated.

Wednesday night I took the second step in the competition for International Speaker. I had co-won in my own club's competition two weeks before, and Wednesday I stood up in front of forty people (only six of whom I knew) and gave a seven minute, fifty-one second speech about dogs in general and Tracker specifically.

I did not win, depending on how you look at it. I didn't bring home any ribbons or plaques, but I did successfully stand up in front of a room of mostly strangers and give a good speech, which could be heard clearly in the back of the room.

HexHouse and I have both come a long way.


Copyright 2013 Michelle Hakala
http://www.winebird.com/








 

No comments:

Post a Comment