Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Good Question -- No Answer

_________________


Superstition is a belief in supernatural causality: that one event leads to the cause of another without any physical process linking the two events, such as astrology, omens, witchcraft, etc., that contradicts natural science.

It seems that each member of a congregation believes his or her specific personal perception is identical with that which constitutes the actual precepts (dogma) of one's adopted religious cult, sect, or denomination. One need not know the details of the particular dogma, but merely think the actual precepts are the same as those harbored within his or her mind.

For example: A lady of my acquaintance is adamant in her belief that each and every deceased member of her family and each of her deceased loved ones still exists, still lives on in the glory of Heaven, and is looking down and watching over her and over  all the Earthly members of her Church.

And yet, her Church doctrine (Southern Baptist, I think) teaches that the dead  will remain in their graves and then rise up from those graves on Judgment Day and those that were saved by the blood of Jesus will be separated from those who were not saved, and the saved will be allowed into the Pearly Gates of Heaven.

Get it? No instantaneous transfer at the time of death. Not until Judgment Day.

But it's useless to attempt to reconcile actual church teachings with the stubborn wishful thinking of individual personal beliefs.

I've tried.

And I really don't know why?

Why do I continue to be the busybody and think it's any of my business to interfere with the beliefs of others?

Why indeed?

_____


WORD FOR TODAY

tantamount [tan-tuh-mount]
aadjective
equivalent, as in value, force, effect, or signification: His angry speech was tantamount to a declaration of war.

_____


BORN ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY
 
Born Oct. 24, 1936
Died Jan. 11, 2011.

David Oswald Nelson was an American actor, director, producer. He was the elder son of bandleader/TV actor Ozzie Nelson and singer Harriet Hilliard and the older brother of singer Eric "Ricky" Nelson.

Born Oct 24, 1960
Age: 51 years old.

Bradley Darryl "BD" Wong is an American actor, best known for his roles as Dr. George Huang on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, as Father Ray Mukada on Oz, as Dr. John Lee on Awake, Henry Wu in the movie Jurassic Park, his portrayal of Ngawang Jigme in the movie Seven Years in Tibet, the voice of Li Shang in the movie Mulan and for his Tony Award winning role as Song Liling in the Broadway production of M. Butterfly.



Born Oct 24, 1930
Died Feb 3, 1959.

Jiles Perry "J. P." Richardson, Jr. also commonly known as The Big Bopper, was an American disc jockey, singer, and songwriter whose big voice and exuberant personality made him an early rock and roll star. He is best known for his recording of "Chantilly Lace".

On February 3, 1959, a day that has become known as The Day the Music Died (from Don McLean's song "American Pie"), Richardson was killed in a plane crash in Iowa, along with Buddy Holly and Ritchie Valens.

Born Oct 24, 1915
Died Nov 3, 1998.

Bob Kane was an American comic book artist and writer, credited as the creator of the DC Comics superhero Batman, along with Bill Finger. He was inducted into both the comic book industry's Jack Kirby Hall of Fame in 1994 and the Will Eisner Comic Book Hall of Fame in 1996.

__________

"I speak to everyone in the same way, whether he is the garbage man or the president of the university."
--Albert Einstein

2 comments:

  1. Gene, I can't answer the question you ask about yourself and what you call interfering with the beliefs of other people. I wouldn't, though, label your questions an interference. All that I know about you leads me to believe that you ask questions because you are intelligent and curious. I will say, however, that as my health continues to deteriorate I oftentimes wonder why I say anything -- or ask anything -- at all. I realize that I am a puny speck of dust inside this universe that we cannot comprehend, but perhaps my urge to ask questions and offer opinions matches my desire to be more than that speck of dust. Impossible and always a frustrating goal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know me well, Anthony. Much better than I know myself I suspect. And I always seem to learn something from each of your comments. Thank you for that, for takiing time to read, analyze, and offer such helpful comments on my written thoughts. My life has been much enhanced by knowing you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete