Monday, January 3, 2011

Just A Couple Of Things . . .


What is tragedy?

An online dictionary definition is: an event resulting in great loss and misfortune.

Another definition is: a literary genre depicting serious actions that usually have a disastrous outcome for the protagonist.

Below is my immediate thought on the matter:


one example
of
a terrible tragedy
occurred to me
and it is this

a lifelong pious person
when at the effing end
lingering at death's door
in silent contemplation
on death's disinterested bed
discovers that this entire life
was based on a calculated lie


How effing sad is that?

#

Have you ever been reading along and all at once a lurking line leaps out at you and grabs you by the throat, and suddenly you can't swallow and you cannot catch your breath and moisture mists your vision, and you feel one of those tremendous shocks of memory's fickle recollection that screams, "Yes, that's exactly how I feel" and you realize that this poet whose thoughts you've been reading has at one time felt that same stab of piercing sadness that sometimes nearly overwhelms you? Such as:

I had a love once too who now is
gone, is
gone, she's gone...

The above is from a poem, In A Cafe written by Garrison Keillor and when I first read it, I was nearly overwhelmed with the memory of a thing that once was and no longer is.

#

I ordered one of those extremely low cost used books from Amazon.com to find out if Mo Hayder is truly the talented master (mistress?) of engaging writing that she has been trumpeted as being.



#

I read somewhere that coconut water is good for one's health. So I researched the claim. After doing so I came to the conclusion that this is nothing more than another marketing ploy designed to extract money from the gullible. Filtered water probably is just as healthy as is coconut water.

Of course, one should never discount the health benefits arising from the placebo effect -- if paying three or four dollars for a serving of coconut water makes you believe you will become more healthy by drinking it, then by all means do so.

Penn and Teller illustrate the placebo effect.

We human animals are so ludicrously gullible.

#

Today's entry seems way too skimpy -- if I think of something else to include, I'll insert it here later...
__________

No comments:

Post a Comment