Thursday, January 13, 2011

A Writer Writes . . .


_____

Interview with Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
by The New Yorker...

Q: What, in your opinion, makes a piece of fiction work?

A: Emotion. The ability to make me feel and care. The ability to move me in some way. The ability to touch something inside me that is often left untouched by newspaper articles.

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie



I think this author's answer (above) is more deeply profound than it appears on the surface When I first read it, I cried out, "Yes... that's it." Recollecting the books and stories I've read, I most strongly remember the works that moved me. Emotion. That's the key.



Also from The New Yorker

An audio slide show of some paintings done by George Condo is available by clicking HERE.

#


kip


1: noun: Sleep; a place to sleep; a bed.
2: verb intr.: To sleep or nap.
3: noun: The hide of a young or small animal or a bundle of such hides.
4: noun: The basic unit of currency in Laos.
5: noun: A unit of weight equal to 1000 lb (453.6 kg).

Now there is a word that carries its weight... lots of different meanings.

__________

"The only really good piece of advice I have for my students is, Write something you'd never show your mother or father."
--Lorrie Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment