Friday, July 29, 2011

Stieg Larsson



Although reading has always been my most satisfying source of great pleasure, it seems that this source has become more and more meager as the years pass by. Of course, I know why that is; it's because of the plethora of new writers who have been ruined by having been taught that learning how to write is only gained by absorbing the methods and results of those writers who have succeeded in the past.

What a crock . . . I am convinced that certain people can learn to write well, but no one can be taught to write well.

One can search out new books that happily contain original (or at least non-standard) writing, but these are few and far between, and extremely difficult to find.

I just today finished reading a trilogy; this was a set of three books by Stieg Larsson, titled The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played With Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest. This is the first time in many years that I have been so completely absorbed in the characters and the story being told. Previously, the books of Cormac McCarthy did so, as did the works of Thomas Harris.

Stieg Larsson
August 15, 1954 - November 9, 2004

Sigh . . .

_____


For the last couple of days I have been plagued by sudden sharp pains in the lower left region of my back. These pains appear whenever I lean slightly forward while standing, as when I stand in front of the bathroom mirror shaving. And when rising from my easy chair after sitting in front of the TV. Don't know what is causing this but there is always the hope in the back of my mind that, "This too shall pass."

__________

No comments:

Post a Comment