Thursday, May 10, 2012

Not Always What It Seems To Be

_____

Believe it or not, the latest picture of Hillary Clinton has actually made me soften up a bit about my ongoing, often overly harsh criticisms of her. The surprising lady has now won my approval and my respect. Not that she would care or even know about that. But at last she seems to be casting off some of her old phony persona along with the extreme makeup. Good for her. Good for the real Hillary.



_____

Taslima Nasreen is an award-winning writer, physician, secular humanist and human rights activist, known for her powerful writing on women's oppression and unflinching criticism of religion, despite forced exile and multiple fatwas calling for her death.

But sometimes Taslima goes a bit overboard in her blogging enthusiasm.

For example,when she wrote:

"Atheists need more enlightenment to become humanists  -- I dream of a day when all atheists would be free from racism, misogyny, homophobia, megalomania, and other silly problems."

Taslima and others who write with passion for an ideal seem to believe that those {deluded idiots?} with other convictions need to become more enlightened, -- and enlightenment is what I believe, no matter what it is that I believe.

I Am Woman . . . Hear Me Roar!


That is not a criticism . . . well, yes it is; it's criticism.

Taslima's words above appeared HERE

_____


Because I am an atheist . . . is an open invitation to readers to tell their personal reasons for not bowing down to the pressures of conforming to traditional religious beliefs. One of these, from Jennifer, I found to be simple, clearly-written, and sensible. Below is Jennifer's first paragraph:

Because I am an atheist I am able to truly appreciate my marriage. It’s not foreordained that I love my husband, which means that every minute I spend with him is a conscious choice to invest time and love and energy in this relationship. I don’t feel like I’m failing God when I fail to do my part to maintain the relationship; instead, I just recognize that it’s a failure on my part to put in the work necessary to sustain this choice that makes me so happy, and I fix it. I don’t get complacent about it because, again, it’s a choice, and it takes work. We’ve only been together a few years, and we are a good enough fit that it hasn’t felt like work yet, but in the more difficult moments we’ve had I have reveled in the fact that no, I am staying *here* because it is what *I* want, and that he is doing the same, because we love and value one another, not because we feel like we have to. It’s glorious.

Read the rest of it HERE

_____


WORD FOR TODAY

apocryphal [uh-pock-ruh-fuhl]
adj
1.  of questionable authenticity
2.  of or like the Apocrypha
3.  untrue; counterfeit

_____


BORN ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY

Fred Astaire



Born May 10, 1899
Died June 22, 1987

Fred Astaire (born Frederick Austerlitz) was an American film and Broadway stage dancer, choreographer, singer and actor. His stage and subsequent film career spanned a total of 76 years,


ALSO


Born May 10, 1936

Gary Owens was the deep voiced announcer on Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In. Remember?

_____

___________

Man is certainly crazy. He could not make a mite, and he makes gods by the dozen.
--Michel De Montaigne

No comments:

Post a Comment