Sunday, May 6, 2012

Profanity Of The Rich And Famous


_____

I read somewhere in the Catholic literature that St. Augustine saw the sex urge as divine punishment for Adam and Eve's original sin, and he regarded the genitalia as satanic monsters.

And yet quite a few Christians through the years have managed to propagate in spite of this.

Go figure.
_____


Stephen King

Tax Me For F***'s Sake
writes Stephen King
in The Daily Beast.

The iconic writer scolds the super-rich (including himself -- and Mitt Romney) for not giving back, and warns of a Kingsian apocalyptic scenario if inequality is not addressed in America.

King writes: I've known rich people, and why not, since I'm one of them? The majority would rather douse their dicks with lighter fluid, strike a match, and dance around singing Disco Inferno than pay one more cent in taxes to Uncle Sugar.

In case you would like to  read the piece and you overlooked the link to King's article, here it is again:


Note:
The above was brought to my attention while reading an article in AlterNet titled: Stephen King Writes Awesome Op-Ed, Joins Legions of Wealthy Who Want to Be Taxed.

_____

WORD FOR TODAY

sleight
noun   
The use of dexterity or cunning, esp. so as to deceive.
Synonyms:
artifice - skill - adroitness - dexterity - ability

See:
sleight of hand
also known as prestidigitation ("quick fingers") or legerdemain, is the set of techniques used by a magician (or card sharp) to manipulate objects such as cards and coins secretly.

The above Word For Today was selected after I read a comment from comment number 3 (Eliott) below a Greta Christina blog entry -- wherein Eliott wrote: "She is an open book of deception and political slight of hand, what we have come to affectionately call lobbyists." Eliott's use of slight of hand instead of the correct sleignt of hand prompted me to watch for other instances of this misuse.

I found that lots of people make that mistake.

_____


There is a blog that periodically publishes voluntary submissions from its readers describing what made them move away from their religious beliefs. Many of these are similar, almost to the point of being boring in their sameness. There is one, however, that is well worth reading, no matter what your individual thoughts are on the subject of religion. I hope you will read it.


_____

BORN ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY
Born May 6, 1915
Died Oct 10, 1985
 
 Remembered for The War of the Worlds (1938), the most famous broadcast in the history of radio; and Citizen Kane (1941) which many critics and scholars name as the best film of all time.


ALSO


 Born May 6, 1895
Died Aug 23, 1926

A silent films sex symbol of the 1920s, Valentino was known as the "Latin Lover." His sudden death at age 31 caused mass hysteria among his female fans.


ALSO


Sigmund Freud
(founder of psychoanalysis)
 Born May 6, 1856
Died Sep 23, 1939.
(I was 4 months old)
_____

__________

". . . most rich people are as boring as old, dead dog shit."
--Stephen King

3 comments:

  1. Maybe I should watch that Citizen Kane again to see WHY it's considered the greatest film ever.. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. I have discovered throughout a long lifetime that Critics and Scholars often see things differently than I do. Thank you for the insightful comment.

      Delete
    2. I saw the film twice. Once when I was too young to know what I was watching and the other in a high school video class. My fanatic video instructor said, "Everyone has to see this movie before they die." To me, it was one of those films that I almost loved but just not quite. I know there was meaning to the plot and maybe its script and storyline was perfect, but I couldn't help but think that the film was overall dry! ... I always wanted to say this... *Laughs*

      Delete