Sunday, August 5, 2012

Reading Books And Writing Blogs


I arrived back home from the desert yesterday and got right to work catching up on various tasks that had been shoved aside for more pressing matters.

The first thing I did was to finally order a kindle from Amazon.com and I am looking forward to receiving and reading from it one day within the coming week. For the last few weeks I have been reading from my son's kindle so I have grown familiar with its operation. Of course I have been reading e-books using my Kindle for PC for quite some time, but it will be nice to be able to read them while lying in bed at night, which is my favorite time for reading fiction.

My friend AVT recently advised me to purchase a Kindle. It took me a while to do it, but I finally got around to taking his advice.

One of the novels I read using Mike's Kindle was the opening book in the Left Behind series. I will offer no review of the book except to say that I most certainly do not suggest that anyone should pay good money for a copy of it.

_____



I was asked why I include the WORD FOR THE DAY and the BIRTHDAY sections in most of my daily blog entries. The main reason is that I enjoy looking up and selecting my personal choice of listed birthday subjects, featuring only those celebrities with which I am familiar and who interest me. Additionally, I like knowing the meanings of words, and I recently received an email message from a young reader living in Germany who told me she reads my blog every day just so she can add some new English words to her vocabulary.

_____


WORD FOR TODAY


disparate [DIS-puhr-it]
Adjective
Essentially different in kind; not allowing comparison.
Noun
Things so unlike that there is no basis for comparison.
Synonyms
different - dissimilar - unlike

_____


BORN ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY


Neil Armstrong

 
Born Aug 5, 1930
Age: 81 years old

Neil Alden Armstrong is an American former NASA astronaut, test pilot, aerospace engineer, university professor, United States Naval Aviator, and the first person to set foot upon the Moon.



John Huston
  Born Aug. 5, 1906
Died Aug 28, 1987

John Marcellus Huston was an American film director, screenwriter and actor. He wrote the screenplays for most of the 37 feature films he directed, many of which are today considered classics: The Maltese Falcon (1941), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948), Key Largo (1948), The Asphalt Jungle (1950), The African Queen (1951), Moulin Rouge (1952), The Misfits (1961), and The Man Who Would Be King (1975). During his 46-year career, Huston received 15 Oscar nominations, won twice, and directed both his father, Walter Huston, and daughter, Anjelica Huston, to Oscar wins in different films.


Loni Anderson


Born Aug. 5, 1946
Age: 65 years old

Loni Kaye Anderson is an American actress who is known for having played the role of Jennifer Marlowe on the CBS television sitcom WKRP in Cincinnati and for playing Jayne Mansfield and Thelma Todd in television movies.

_____
__________

Fiction is the truth inside the lie.
--Stephen King


No comments:

Post a Comment