Friday, August 17, 2012

The Older One Gets . . .



_____


Last night I was reading an essay on -- Oh Shoot! I forgot what it was about -- Anyway, I was reading online when I heard the TV announce that an episode of The Beverly Hillbillies was about to start. Naturally I couldn't miss that, so I went into the living room and turned up the volume. The show was a really old one, in black and white, and seemingly rerun from the series's first year.


Jethro was slated to gradgeeate 6th grade from the exclusive Potts School at three o'clock and the administration set it up so the Clampetts would be late and thereby not embarrass the audience with their looks and ignorant actions. But Granny was wise to them and took Elly Mae and her pet chimp to the graduation exercises. They arranged for the chimp to stand in for Jethro and accept his diploma. All turned out for the best.

Sure was funny.

After it was over, I found out that another oldie was coming up: Green Acres. I didn't watch it though. Too sleepy. So I went to bed and read another chapter from my current Kindle book.


I don't understand why those old, old reruns appeal to me so strongly.

Must be getting old myself . . . and possibly a bit senile.

Or something like that.

I believe it was old Sophocles who said . . .
"A man growing old becomes a child again."

_____


Last night I finally took down the envelope which is my Early Voting ballot for the Republican Primary election that has been resting unopened on top of my flatbed scanner since arriving a couple weeks ago. I marked the ballot on each of the candidates who are running unopposed, then I Googled the various candidates -- the one for U.S. Representative, for the U.S. Senate, for County Sheriff, and County Superintendent of Schools. Based on the information within several websites, I made my final choices and marked my ballot.

Now I have Voted Early and will mail out the sealed ballot later this morning.

_____


WORD FOR TODAY


paramour
noun  
A lover, esp. the illicit partner of a married person.
Synonyms:
lover - mistress - swain - inamorata - sweetheart


_____



BORN ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY


Robert De Niro


Born Aug 17, 1943
Age: 68 years old.

Robert De Niro is an American actor, director and producer. His first major film roles were in Bang the Drum Slowly and Mean Streets, both in 1973. In 1974, he played the young Vito Corleone in The Godfather Part II, a role that won him the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor.

His critically acclaimed, longtime collaborations with Martin Scorsese began with 1973's Mean Streets, and earned De Niro an Academy Award for Best Actor for his portrayal of Jake LaMotta in the 1980 film Raging Bull. He was also nominated for an Academy Award for his roles in Scorsese's Taxi Driver (1976) and Cape Fear (1991). In addition, he received nominations for his acting in Michael Cimino's The Deer Hunter (1978) and Penny Marshall's Awakenings (1990). Also in 1990, his portrayal as Jimmy Conway in Martin Scorsese's Goodfellas earned him a BAFTA nomination.



Sean Penn


Born Aug 17, 1960
Age: 51 years old.

Sean Justin Penn is an American actor, screenwriter and film director, also known for his left-wing political and social activism (including humanitarian work). He is a two-time Academy Award winner for his roles in Mystic River (2003) and Milk (2008), as well as the recipient of a Golden Globe Award for the former and a Screen Actors Guild Award for the latter.



Davy Crockett
Born Aug. 17, 1786
Died March 6, 1836

David "Davy" Crockett was a 19th century American folk hero, frontiersman, soldier and politician. He is commonly referred to in popular culture by the epithet, "King of the Wild Frontier". He represented Tennessee in the U.S. House of Representatives, served in the Texas Revolution, and died at the Battle of the Alamo.


   
Mae West


Born Aug. 17, 1892
Died Nov. 22, 1980

Mary Jane West, known as Mae West, was an American actress, playwright, screenwriter and sex symbol whose entertainment career spanned seven decades. Known for her bawdy double entendres, West made a name for herself in vaudeville and on the stage in New York before moving to Hollywood to become a comedienne, actress and writer in the motion picture industry. In consideration of her contributions to American cinema, the American Film Institute named West 15th among the greatest female stars of all time.


__________

I'm growing old, I delight in the past.
--Henri Matisse


No comments:

Post a Comment