Tuesday, January 15, 2013

AS TIME STUMBLES ON

    
____________________


This morning my energy level is quite low. And I do not feel like diving into the pit of deep thought... or even slowly sinking below the surface into the stillness of the shallows to come up with something interesting to write about.

I have not the energy to do more than merely continue to breathe.

A few years ago I would have recognized this as laziness.

Now I can not even do that. Now I blame it on old age.

A few minutes ago I heard a small explosion from somewhere outside. Eva heard it too, and she barked and ran to look out the back glassed-in door. I did not run, but walked behind her and looked out into the 20 degree morning.

I did not see anything out of the ordinary.

I wonder what's on TV.

_____


WORD FOR TODAY

energy
noun

The question "what is energy?" is difficult to answer in a simple, intuitive way, although energy can be rigorously defined in theoretical physics.


In the words of Richard Feynman, "It is important to realize that in physics today, we have no knowledge what energy is. We do not have a picture that energy comes in little blobs of a definite amount."

I do not know what energy is, but I do know that I have less of it available to me as each day waxes and wanes. It is something that I feel, and therefore know.

_____
 

BORN ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY
 
 
Born Jan. 15, 1929
Died  Apr. 4, 1968

Martin Luther King, Jr. was an American clergyman, activist, and prominent leader in the African-American Civil Rights Movement. He is best known for his role in the advancement of civil rights using nonviolent civil disobedience. King has become a national icon in the history of American progressivism.



 
Born Jan. 15, 1913
Died Mar. 10, 1998

Lloyd Vernet Bridges, Jr. was an American actor who starred in a number of television series and appeared in more than 150 feature films. Bridges is best known for his role of Mike Nelson in Sea Hunt, the most popular syndicated American TV series in 1958. He was the father of actors Beau Bridges and Jeff Bridges.



 
Born Jan 15, 1951
Age: 61 years old

Maria Rosario Pilar Martinez Molina Baeza, better known as Charo, is a Spanish-American actress, comedienne, and flamenco guitarist, best known for her flamboyant stage presence, her provocative outfits, and her trademark phrase ("cuchi-cuchi").



Born Jan. 15, 1909
Died Oct. 16, 1973

Eugene Bertram "Gene" Krupa was an American jazz and big band drummer and composer, known for his highly energetic and flamboyant style. He attended St. Joseph's College in Rensselaer, Indiana for a year, but later decided it was not his vocation.

In 1954, Krupa appeared in such films as The Glenn Miller Story and The Benny Goodman Story. In 1959, the movie biography, The Gene Krupa Story, was released; Sal Mineo portrayed Krupa.

__________

Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal.
--Albert Camus
    

1 comment:

  1. I have not the energy to do more than merely continue to breathe. Wow - really setting the bar high. Fight it, take a short stroll in the 20 degree chill - you'll feel rejuvenated...

    ReplyDelete