Thursday, July 3, 2014

Things Happen

     



____________________


I would love to go into an animal's dream - like a lion's or a cat's. I'm sure that's pretty awesome.
--Marion Cotillard

As I walked along Pantano Road, just after passing Bark Avenue, the dog grooming place, a new pickup truck pulled up, blocking my way on the sidewalk. There were two young women inside and the driver called out, "Hey, how are you? Haven't seen you in a long time."

I smiled at her and stared at her face with some confusion. I had no idea who she was, and I told her so. And I told her that I had just turned 75 and my memory was not what it once was.

I'm Stephanie," she said. "I used to work at Fry's and talked to you out front on the bench when I was on my smoke breaks."

"I'm sorry," I said, "but I don't remember you. Must be because you're out of uniform."

"Probably," she said. "And it's been a while. I moved away and lived in San Francisco for a couple months -- this is my sister."

Then, to my great surprise, she asked me if I'd like to go somewhere, maybe have a cup of coffee at the new Starbucks on the corner.

I told her no, and that I was just out for my daily walk to Fry's and then back home. I refrained from informing her (as I usually do) that I would never pay the outrageous price Starbuck's charges for coffee when I can brew it at home for about a dime a cup.

She broadened her smile and said, "You got a girl friend?"

I said, "No, I'm all alone."

She asked if I'd like to get together later, like for lunch or dinner... or something.

Suddenly the hint of long unused alarm bells began to clang in my mind.

"No thanks," I said, pulling myself back from the window. "Just gonna go home and get busy on my computer."

"Okay. You take it easy now," she said, and drove off.

Yep. Surprising things do still happen.

_____


Did You Know . . .?

The crab louse (Pthirus pubis) is a 2mm-long insect that lives on the pubic hair and eyelashes of humans. It is an obligate exoparasite that feeds exclusively on human blood and can be easily transmitted between sexual partners.



_____


HISTORICAL EVENT

On this day in 1988, in the Persian Gulf, the U.S. Navy cruiser Vincennes shot down an Iranian passenger jet that it mistakes for a hostile Iranian fighter aircraft. Two missiles were fired from the American warship--the aircraft was hit, and all 290 people aboard were killed. The attack came near the end of the Iran-Iraq War, when U.S. vessels were in the gulf defending Kuwaiti oil tankers. Minutes before Iran Air Flight 655 was shot down, the Vincennes had engaged Iranian gunboats that shot at its helicopter.

In 1996, the U.S. agreed to pay $62 million in damages to the families of the Iranians killed in the attack.

_____


WORD FOR TODAY

awesome [aw-suhm]
adjective
1.  inspiring an overwhelming feeling of reverence, admiration, or fear; causing or inducing awe.
2.  showing or characterized by reverence, admiration, or fear.
3.  Slang. very impressive: That new white convertible is totally awesome.

_____


CELEBRITY BIRTHDAYS


(born July 3, 1962)
Tom Cruise is an American film actor. After portraying supporting roles in Taps and The Outsiders, his first leading role was in Risky Business. Cruise starred in Top Gun and is well known for his role as secret agent Ethan Hunt in the Mission: Impossible film series between 1996 and 2011. Cruise has starred in many successful films, including The Color of Money, Cocktail, Rain Man, Born on the Fourth of July, Far and Away, A Few Good Men, The Firm, Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles, Jerry Maguire, Eyes Wide Shut, Magnolia, Vanilla Sky, Minority Report, The Last Samurai, Collateral, War of the Worlds, Lions for Lambs, Valkyrie, Knight and Day, Jack Reacher, and Oblivion. In 2012, Cruise was Hollywood's highest-paid actor. Fourteen of his films grossed over $100 million domestically; twenty have grossed in excess of $200 million worldwide.



(born July 3, 1970)
Shawnee Smith is an American film and television actress. Smith is best known for her roles as Meg Penny in The Blob, Amanda Young in the Saw films, and Linda in the CBS sitcom Becker. She currently stars as Jennifer Goodson, the ex-wife of Charlie Sheen, on the FX sitcom Anger Management.



(born July 3, 1943)
Kurtwood Smith is an American television and film actor. He is known for playing Clarence Boddicker in RoboCop and Red Forman in That '70s Show, and for his appearances in the genre of science fiction (Star Trek, The X-Files).



(born  July 3, 1965)
Connie Nielson is a Danish actress whose first major role in an English language film was a supporting role in The Devil's Advocate; Nielsen later gained international attention for her role in Gladiator. Her films include Mission to Mars , One Hour Photo, Basic, The Hunted, The Ice Harvest, and Nymphomaniac.

__________

The moment one gives close attention to any thing, even a blade of grass it becomes a mysterious, awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself.
--Henry Miller

NASA TV

   

No comments:

Post a Comment