Sunday, August 17, 2014

Guest Blogger 8/17/14




The Department Dissolves

A long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, a bunch of people got laid off and more people got rearranged. As one among the rearrangees, I was unsure about my place of work, and my role there. I had questions I wasn't brave enough to ask, and some which would have been futile to voice.

I didn't know anything about my Manager except her name, and that someone I disliked thought she was fantastic.

Time passed, and the discord settled into a team. Disorganization became order, and camaraderie developed.

Then people got rearranged again. Still among the rearrangees, I was told I'd report to half a Manager. I wasn't sure about reporting to half a Manager. How was that going to work? Which half would I get? What if I wanted the other half instead?

With trepidation I stayed on board for this next journey, over seas rough with learning curves. My new half a Manager put in more time than some full Managers, and she tried very hard to do what was best for her people. Working relationships developed and I learned to speak her language (or she learned mine).

Today, we've been told that the department is dissolving. As of next Monday, my half a Manager won't be mine anymore, and the other fourteen people who report to her will mostly report elsewhere as well.

I don't know what I feel yet. It's a big change, and while it's not a total surprise (rearranging of departments happens fairly regularly here), it wasn't what I was expecting today. I'll have to wait and see, watch what happens and get a feel for my new hierarchy. Maybe it'll be better than it was before, and maybe it'll just be different. I'll keep you posted.


Copyright 2014 Michelle Hakala
http://www.winebird.com/








   


No comments:

Post a Comment