Saturday, October 4, 2014

Scary Stuff

     


____________________

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."
--Douglas Adams

Last night I had a long, terrible, terrible dream, an extended nightmare that troubled me and still troubles me mightily. It was a roiling hodge-podge of scenes from my life, featuring now dead characters that were close to me in life - but each exhibited a gruesome mixture of characteristics of other characters, different people with pasted-on patterns from others. And their hostile activities, aimed at me, were far from complimentary to the actual people I knew so (seemingly) long ago.

I know I am not describing it correctly, and I am not sure how to do it any better.

I still shudder at the memory.

It was, after all, a nightmare.

And that's enough about that.

_____


Did You Know . . .?

More than 30 intruders have attempted to cross the boundaries of the White House gates. Among them were a toddler who squeezed through the fence and a man wearing a Pikachu hat.

Pikachu is a fleece costume hat from
the popular animated series, Pokemon

_____


HISTORICAL EVENT

On this day in 1957, the successful launch of the unmanned satellite Sputnik I by the Soviet Union shock and frightened many Americans. As the tiny satellite orbited the earth, Americans reacted with dismay that the Soviets could have gotten so far ahead of the supposedly technologically superior United States. There was also fear that with their new invention, the Soviets had gained the upper hand in the arms race. The United States launched satellite Explorer I on January 31, 1958. The "space race" had begun.

_____


WORD FOR TODAY

domicile
noun
1. A residence; a home.
2. One's legal residence.
verb
1. To establish (oneself or another person) in a residence.
2. To provide with often temporary lodging.

_____


CELEBRITY BIRTHDAYS


(born October 4, 1967)
Liev Schreiber is an American actor. He became known for films, including the Scream trilogy of horror films, Phantoms, The Sum of All Fears, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Salt, Taking Woodstock and Goon. 



(born October 4, 1946)
Susan Sarandon is an American actress. She became know for her role in the films Dead Man Walking and The Client. Some other films are Atlantic City, Thelma & Louise and, Lorenzo's Oil. On television, she has received five Emmy nominations, including for Bernard and Doris and You Don't Know Jack. Other films include The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Pretty Baby, The Hunger, The Witches of Eastwick, Bull Durham, White Palace, Little Women, Stepmom, Igby Goes Down, Enchanted, The Lovely Bones, and Arbitrage.



(born October 4, 1957)
Bill Fagerbakke is an American actor and voice actor. He is best known for his long-running-roles as Patrick Star in the animated series SpongeBob SquarePants and Michael "Dauber" Dybinski on the sitcom Coach. He also appeared in 11 episodes of the sitcom How I Met Your Mother as Marshall Eriksen's father Marvin.



(born October 4, 1976)
Alicia Silverstone is an American actress. Silverstone made her film debut in The Crush. She starred in the 1995 sleeper hit Clueless and in the big-budget 1997 film Batman & Robin, in which she played Batgirl.

__________

“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
--Dr. Seuss

NASA TV



2 comments:

  1. Was I in it??
    Bill

    PS: you need to get a answering machine ! !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you were not in the dream, but your sister was. And... an answering machine? I don't need no stinkin' answering machine. (smile)

      Delete