Sunday, December 7, 2014

Guest Blogger 12/7/2014

     

Dangerous Living

The Annual Billiard Bash went well. This year was a lower turnout, around 23 people, but they all seemed to have a good time.

For me, this event is a form of dangerous living; allowing people - as many people as want to come - into my living space. alaHouse becomes an open house, and people wander in and out all day long. It's not easy for an introvert to do.

Each year, as the event draws close, I wonder why I do it. Each year, as the Bash swirls around me, I say I'm done and want to go home. And each year, after it's over, I'm glad I've done it.

It's an odd thing, but I think I actually enjoy it, even through the anxiety and terror it can create.

This year's Bash is now over, and I'm not the only one living dangerously.

I have a new cleaner shrimp in my reef tank. He's very small, about as long as a Bic lighter but not much thicker than a Bic pen. He reminds me of San Diego during the fires of 2007.

You see, living conditions for the shrimp and living conditions for the people in the San Diego area have a bunch of similarities.

* The shrimp, and many of the people, have been mis-placed; forcibly removed from their homes
* the shrimp, and those in evacuation centers, have taken up residence in an alien environment
* and the shrimp, and many of the people, are currently living in precarious circumstances.

For the people, it means watching and wondering if they'll need to evacuate from the evacuation center, waiting and worrying whether their home is still standing, watching and worrying about friends and family members and pets lost in the shuffle and smoke.

For the shrimp, it means hanging out in the shade of a sea anemone. I don't know why he chose that particular corner to take up residence, but so far they seem to be getting along. He's cautious about foraging, and the anemone doesn't eat him. Yet.

Like conditions in San Diego, who knows what tomorrow will bring?


Copyright 2014 Michelle Hakala
http://www.winebird.com/








   

No comments:

Post a Comment