Thursday, September 15, 2011

Don't Have A Good Title


When I recently read the term ahead of the curve it made me think about educational institutions grading on the curve and it made me question why that process should be used. Does 'fairness' have something to do with it?

Hm... What exactly is fairness? I'll have to do some research on that.


SF Novelists has a free sampler consisting of first chapters of the novels of 25 member writers. I downloaded it in pdf format and you can download it at http://www.sfnovelists.com/samplers/volume1/OPENINGACTS.pdf


I have recently encountered an archaic word, its use now probably discontinued; it is growlery and is defined as a place to growl, as in, a private room, or den. Now that strikes me as a perfectly good word and one that should be revived and used often. It reminds me of the kind of word Cormac McCarthy might use.


Although I am not sufficiently educated in cosmology, astrophysics, or advanced mathematics to offer suggestions to NASA (or any other agency as a matter of fact) I nevertheless occasionally come up with ideas for the advancement of knowledge in space exploration. Here is one of those ideas:Why does NASA not prepare a plan and encourage both governments and private businesses to manufacture spacecrafts with the capability to travel outside the solar system carrying instruments to record conditions in the vicinity of Alpha Centauri.

That's Science Fiction and too far-fetched, you say? Hm. I wonder.

The effort might, if nothing else, provide sources for new industrial jobs... right?


A couple of days ago I stumbled upon a cartoon claiming that science and religion are fundamentally incompatible. It's basic premise seemed to arise from the following two sentences:

Science encourages rational thought. observation of the natural works, and using evidence to draw conclusions.

And . . .

Religion encourages accepting ideas on faith, and actively discourages attempting to prove claims with evidence.

While I do not usually pay attention to cartoons, I sometimes think that perhaps I should do so.

__________

"The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it."
--Terry Pratchett

No comments:

Post a Comment