Monday, September 26, 2011

Words And Other Things



_____

While walking this morning I crossed a side street and noticed that its name was Button Willow Road. Since I had my handy-dandy digital voice recorder in my pocket, I whipped it out and spoke the name into the microphone. I did not want to forget it because it struck me as being a fascinating and thought provoking street name and I might want to use it in a story one of these days.


In the weekly compendium of AWAD (A Word A Day) I read the following comment from a reader, Carol Forbess:

I visualize words as like fruit in a basket. Sometimes the easiest to use are the tasteless ones close by, but I love to hear someone speak or read from a writer who reaches for the kiwi or mangoes from the back or goes to the trouble of cutting open the pomegranate to get to the arils. Some words can take you from the black and white to the color in Oz.

Now isn't that a delicious way to picture words?


Words.

It has been said that a picture is worth a thousand words. Can't say that I agree with that, but I've found that a picture can say a lot...



__________

“Language is a cracked kettle on which we beat out tunes for bears to dance to, while all the time we long to move the stars to pity.”
--Flaubert
(Madame Bovary)

No comments:

Post a Comment