Saturday, January 3, 2015

Saturday Morning

     


____________________

"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness..."
Allen Ginsberg Howl!

Using my new Amazon FireStick, I watched a movie titled HOWL!. It chronicled a period of the era in which lived Allen Ginsberg, writer of the poem, with scenes from the poem's obscenity trial. I have nothing I wish to say concerning the movie or the poem, except that one of the statements from an expert witness, a professor of literature, struck me as being a real eye-opener. The statement was: "You cannot translate poetry into prose; that's why it's poetry."

I suddenly saw what I had been missing in earlier personal experiences with trying to understand much of literate poetry... poetry deemed literature, and therefore possessing lasting value.

_____


A gift from one of my sons at Christmas was an assortment of frozen foods from Omaha Steaks. I have sampled all of the various delicious articles: a sirloin steak, a beefsteak burger, a boneless pork loin chop, a potato au gratin portion, and an apple tartlet. What more can I say about that?

There is no sincerer love than the love of food.
George Bernard Shaw

__________

   

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip re: Howl, the film. I'll watch it tonight. I'm not a fan of Ginsberg, the man, but some of his poetry fascinates (which is more than I think people will say of me after I'm gone).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are quite welcome, Anthony. I hope you will find the film either enjoyable or productive. Or both.

      Delete