Sunday, January 17, 2010

Education Then And Now


Rensselaer, Indiana Elementary School
circa 1945

Grades 1 through 6

Above is a photo of the elementary school I attended back in the 1940s. It is no longer there, having been torn down long ago, along with the Junior High and the Senor High school buildings.

School days . . .

The word "Education" conjures up an image of laughing chattering children in bright airy classrooms, a small intimate group of eager young minds, lovingly nurtured as they are being instructed by dedicated intelligent caring teachers.

Right?

In some communities on this spinning globe or ours such fairy-tale sounding schools actually do exist.

An article in The Atlantic asks,
What Makes A Great Teacher? and then provides an answer.

If you would rather watch a video presentation instead of reading the above-linked article, here it is:




I am doing research on modern education and comparing some of the ideas pertaining to effective methods with those ideas from earlier times.

I will have more to present in the near future. But I found it takes more than just a few hours on a Sunday morning.

But today is Sunday, supposedly a day of rest, so that is what I intend to do for the rest of this bright, warm day in North Florida. After I go out for my daily fitness walk, which will begin in a few minutes

I feel that I should apologize for the brevity of this posting. But if I think that anyone is going to care, them I'm probably being overly optimistic as to the size of my readership.

As always, thank your for visiting and I hope you will follow my day-to-day thought in this web log.

See ya' next time . . .



No comments:

Post a Comment