Thursday, January 21, 2010

How Much Wood Would A Woodchuck Chuck?


While walking by a quadraplex on San Jose Manor Drive I saw this huge stack of trimmed tree trunks and since I had my camera handy I snapped a quick shot.


After a few more steps, I heard a man shout and I turned around to look in his direction. He had a chain saw in his hand and was walking toward one of the remaining trees. Since he was obviously going to cut down another tree in that same front lawn I paused long enough to take a picture of the tree falling. I snapped the shutter a bit too soon, but it is the one that has just started to fall, the one in the middle, the one that is no longer standing straight and tall.


I tried to snap another one immediately but it takes too long for the digital camera to recover and so I was too late to catch the landing with its resounding "Crash!" and the resulting creation of a terrific cloud of dirt and dust.

I wondered what was to be the fate of those logs. Would they be hewn and shaped into building lumber, cut up as fireplace wood, run through a chipper and scattered about as mulch, to eventually return to the land in elemental form? I sometimes ponder things like that.

Clearing off the land
Getting rid of the trees.
"Make room, make room."
"Oh, Beautiful . . .
For Spacious Skies . . ."

Here is another picture (not mine) of
land clearing, at a different location.


And here is another Land Clearing picture.
From the history books.


"I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree . . ."

Here's a pair of questions worth asking:

Do you suppose that mankind will someday discover another world where trees in forests grow?




In that far future time, will even a single pine or cedar survive here on planet Earth?

Questions worth asking and deserving of an answer.

And while on the subject of trees . . .

Rensselaer Adventures today features a retail shop dedicated to craftsmanship in woodworking. Take a look when you have time.

No comments:

Post a Comment