Saturday, November 5, 2011

Life Is Often Quite Good



_____

I saved some big bucks at the Fry's (formerly Kroger) supermarket yesterday. The mail brought me a bundle of Fry's coupons, some for dollars off various products and four FREE items -- 13 oz. Post Honey Bunches of Oats (dry cereal) -- 16 oz. Kroger brand Frosted mini Shredded Wheat -- 16 slice Pkg. Kraft American Cheese slices -- 9 oz. pkg. Oscar Meyer Honey Smoked Turkey breast slices. Total Savings = $20.60.

Can't beat that deal anywhere else in Tucson. Not that I know of.

_____

My new word for the day is toque

1: a woman's small hat without a brim made in any of various soft close-fitting shapes
2: a tall brimless hat worn by a chef -- called also toque blanche


_____

I recently ordered from an eBay store a set of 9 paperback books by Larry McMurtry. The price was $7.45 with free shipping. Of the 9, I had previously read only one, Lonesome Dove. The eight I had not read were: Duane's Depressed, Pretty Boy Floyd, The Sorrow's River, The Wandering Hill, Some Can Whistle, Texasville, Streets Of Laredo, and Telegraph Days.

The books arrived today. And I'm looking forward to getting started on the first one (Texasville) tonight when I go to bed. That's my usual novel reading time.

_____

Yesterday was the birthday of Will Rogers a humorist and columnist who was born in 1879 on a ranch in the Cherokee Nation (now Oklahoma.)


In 1932, Rogers sent a letter to Franklin Roosevelt giving him advice on dealing with Congress, saying, "They're just children that's never grown up. They don't like to be corrected in company. Don't send messages to 'em, send candy."
Read more here.

_____

AVT has posted a particularly compelling piece of writing.

http://anthonyvtoscano.com/2011/11/03/more-rebel-than-revolutionary/

Great job, Anthony.

__________

No comments:

Post a Comment