Saturday, December 22, 2012

Religion, Faith, And Death


_________________


On the Dr. Oz Show, Marlo Thomas, speaking about her father, Danny Thomas, said, "He wasn't a religious man but he was a man of faith." And I suddenly realized that I did not know what that meant. What is the difference between a religious man and a man of faith?"

So I set out to find the answer, using Google. This proved to be more difficult than I thought it would be.

While searching, I ran across an article in Desert News  written by Matthew Brown titled Abraham Lincoln was a man of faith but skeptical of religion. This article did not answer my question but instead, deepened my quandary.

The article contained an email contact address so I fired off a short message to Mr. Brown asking him to point me to a site or article that might help me. I haven't heard back from him yet, but when I do I will reveal whether or not I have come closer to an answer. And I will keep searching the Internet until I find a satisfactory answer or grow tired of the subject, whichever comes first.

_____


 Yesterday I mentioned my admiration of the blog of Darren Greer -- well, today I ordered one of his novels, Still Life With June which I previewed through Amazon's Look Inside feature.

I am looking forward to receiving it next week and reading it.

_____


A former classmate and good friend of mine, Herbert Arihood, died recently in my hometown of Rensselaer, Indiana, where he served several terms as Mayor. Herbie and I go way back to the first grade. We had a few adventures (and some misadventures) together through the school years. He was quite a guy.



It seems like so many of my classmates (from 1945 on) have died. Well, I am now 73 years old, so I suppose that's to be expected. Nothing I know of that can change it.

_____



WORD FOR TODAY

locus
noun
-  A particular position, point, or place.
-  The effective or perceived location of something abstract
synonyms
place - spot - position - location - locality - space

_____


BORN ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY


Barbara Billingsley

 Born Dec. 22, 1915
Died: Oct 16, 2010

Barbara Billingsley was an American film, television, voice and stage actress. She gained prominence in the 1950s movie The Careless Years, acting opposite Natalie Trundy, followed by her best–known role, that of June Cleaver on the television series Leave It to Beaver (1957–1963) and its sequel Still the Beaver (1985–1988, retitled in season two as The New Leave It to Beaver).




 Born Dec. 22, 1917
Died Nov. 29, 1999

Gene Rayburn was an American radio and television personality. He is best known as the host of various editions of the popular American television game show Match Game for over two decades.




Born Dec 22, 1945
Age:   66 years old

Lila Diane Sawyer is the current anchor of ABC News' flagship program, ABC World News. Previously, Sawyer had been co-anchor of ABC News's morning news program, Good Morning America (GMA).




Born Dec 22, 1912
Died July 11, 2007

Claudia Alta "Lady Bird" Taylor Johnson was First Lady of the United States (1963–69) during the presidency of her husband Lyndon B. Johnson.

__________

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.

--Henry David Thoreau


No comments:

Post a Comment