Saturday, February 15, 2014

Latter Day Saints




_________________________


During my daily walk yesterday I was stopped on the sidewalk by two bicycling young men wearing white shirts with ID Badges and ties around their necks. They were Mormons and they were out to make me  pray for enlightenment from God and for His wonderful gift of FAITH. One of them tried to shake my hand but I said I don't shake, or bump fists, or give high-fives, and I don't even touch other people whenever I can keep from it.

One of the questions the 19 year old whose badge identified him as being Elder Flake, asked me was, "Do you believe in God?" Trying to keep the conversation short, I said, simply, "No." "Well then if there is no God, where did we come from? How did we get here?" I said, "I don't know. - and I'm pretty sure you don't either."

"But I do know," he said. "God created me and you and the Earth and everything that exists."

Well, you can probably imagine how that little flame inside me was getting stoked and growing larger and larger and hotter and hotter.

But after listening to a few more of their canned platitudes and missionarial inanities, I politely thanked them for their concern and told them I was not interested in listening to any more children's fairy tales.

And I resumed my walk.

_____


Did You Know . . .?

After President Kennedy's autopsy, his brain, tissue slides, and other autopsy materials immediately disappeared and have not been found since.

_____


HISTORICAL EVENT

On this day in 1933, a deranged brick layer named Giuseppe Zangara shouted, "Too many people are starving!" and fired a gun at America's president-elect, Franklin D. Roosevelt.

Roosevelt had just delivered a speech in Miami's Bayfront Park from the back seat of his open touring car when Zangara opened fire with six rounds. Five people were hit. The president escaped injury but the mayor of Chicago, Anton Cermak, who was also in attendance, received a mortal stomach wound in the attack.

Zangara was initially tried for attempted murder and sentenced to 80 years in prison, but when Mayor Cermak later died of his wounds, Zangara was retried and sentenced to death. He died in the electric chair on March 5, 1933.

_____

WORD FOR TODAY

faith
noun
1.  Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing.
2.  Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence.
3.  Loyalty to a person or thing; allegiance: keeping faith with one's supporters.
4.  Christianity The theological virtue defined as secure belief in God and a trusting acceptance of God's will.
5. The body of dogma of a religion: the Muslim faith.
6. A set of principles or beliefs.

_____


CELEBRITY BIRTHDAYS


(Feb 15, 1927 - May 29, 2008)
Harvey Korman was an American comedic actor who performed in television and movie productions beginning in 1960. His big break was being a featured performer on CBS's The Danny Kaye Show, but he is best remembered for his performances on the sketch comedy series The Carol Burnett Show and in several films by Mel Brooks, most notably as Hedley Lamarr in Blazing Saddles.



(born Feb. 15, 1971)
Renee O'Connor is an American actress, producer and director best known for playing the role of Gabrielle on the TV series Xena: Warrior Princess.



(born February 15, 1955)
Christopher McDonald is an American actor. He is known for his roles as Shooter McGavin in Happy Gilmore, Tappy Tibbons in Requiem for a Dream, and Mel Allen in the HBO film 61*.



(born 15 February 1973)
Sarah Wynter is an Australian actress, most widely known for her roles on American television - such as Kate Warner on the television drama 24 and as Beth on Windfall.

__________

NASA TV



   

No comments:

Post a Comment