Thursday, February 20, 2014

Reading, Writing, And Everyday Life

     



_____________________________


I recently finished reading Sycamore Row, the newest novel by John Grishim. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Although it was far from being a literary book, it did what few novels do anymore; it entertained me, kept me wondering what was going to happen next, growing so engrossed in the story that I fought off sleep each night just to read a few more pages, then a few more, again and again until it was after midnight and well into the morning hours before I finally put it down and turned off the light.

And when I reached the ending I found myself smiling, happy, and fully satisfied.

Except that I wanted more.

So, I went to the Amazon site and searched books by John Grishim... and found one I know I have never read. It is The Racketeer, and only four dollars (Kindle Edition) -- I download it. Haven't read it yet, but I'm looking forward to doing so.

_____


I received a message via email saying: "Welcome to the inaugural edition of Plugged In, our new monthly electronic newsletter." It was from the Tucson Electric Power Company with some tips on how to conserve energy and save money. Below is one of those tips:

Set your computer and monitor to go into "sleep," "hibernate" or an equivalent mode after 20 minutes of inactivity. These modes draw less power while keeping programs open for when you return to work. Potential savings: $30 or more per year.

Of course, I had already set my my equipment to do that (after a half-hour) but didn't realize it would save me that much money.

It sure is thoughtful of the folks at the power company to show me how to be a good citizen and how to save money.

_____


Yes, I am still writing my recently mentioned novel. But it's going slow... slow... slowly.

As always

_____

Did You Know . . .?

$1,235,000,000,000 is the amount of discretionary Federal Government outlay for 2014 and the amount requested is $2,475,000,000,000.
source:

Note: I don't know exactly what that means, but who cares what I know or don't know?

_____


HISTORICAL EVENT

In the American colonies, a posse of New Hampshire volunteers came across a band of encamped Native Americans and took 10 scalps in the first significant appropriation of this Native American practice by European colonists. The posse received a bounty of 100 pounds per scalp from the colonial authorities in Boston.

Although the custom of scalping was once practiced in Europe and Asia, it is generally associated with North American native groups. In scalping, the skin around the crown of the head was cut and removed from the enemy's skull, usually causing death. In addition to its value as a war trophy, a scalp was often believed to bestow the possessor with the powers of the scalped enemy.

_____


WORD FOR TODAY

discretionary
adjective
1.  Left to or regulated by one's own discretion or judgment.
2.  Available for use as needed or desired: a discretionary fund.

Discretionary spending is a spending category through which governments can spend through an appropriations bill. This spending is optional as part of fiscal policy, in contrast to entitlement programs for which funding is mandatory. In the United States, discretionary spending refers to spending set on a yearly basis by decision of Congress. Such spending is usually authorized by Congress in another act. Provisions of an appropriations act that authorize spending are earmarks. When an authorization act also appropriates funds, it is called mandatory spending.

_____


CELEBRITY BIRTHDAYS


(born February 20, 1942)
Mitch McConnell is the senior United States Senator from Kentucky. A member of the Republican Party, he has been the Minority Leader of the Senate since January 3, 2007



(born February 20, 1966)
Cindy Crawford is an American model. Her success at modeling made her an international celebrity that has led to roles in television and film, and to work as a spokesperson. In 1995, Forbes magazine named her the highest paid model on the planet. She was named No. 3 on VH1's 40 Hottest Hotties of the 90s and was named one of the "100 Hottest Women of All-Time" by Men's Health. Crawford is known for her trademark mole just above her lip, and has adorned hundreds of magazine covers.



Another shot of Cindy




(born February 20, 1964)
French Stewart is an American actor, best known for his role as Harry Solomon on the 1990s sitcom 3rd Rock from the Sun.



(born February 20, 1981)
Majandra Delfino is a Venezuelan-American actress and singer best known for her role as Maria DeLuca on the television series Roswell and Georgia's best friend, Jo Pye on the State of Georgia.

__________

For more than forty years, the United States Congress has shamelessly used payroll taxes intended for Social Security to fund big government spending.
--Mike Pence

NASA TV

   

No comments:

Post a Comment