Sunday, September 14, 2014

Guest Blogger 9/14/14

     

Statistics

I've been reminiscing. As I look forward to the end of this year (where did it go?), I remember last November was full of a novel, as I again "competed" in National Novel Writing Month.

Yes, I "won." I managed to write over 50,000 words during the month of November. The statistics on participation are impressive. Writers from all over logged in and wrote during the month; a staggering 79,813 signed up. Of those, 12,948 made it to or over the 50k mark. That's a 16.22% win rate. The site www.nanowrimo.org counted 982,564,701 words.

From my own writing list, 16 members participated, and 8 made it to or over 50k words. Our win rate (50%) is better than average!

Harry's new rig is on the road, bottling wine. We have some new statistics to report for that, too. With the added seven feet from the Volvo, the truck (with trailer) is now 65 feet long. It weighs a whopping 63,690 pounds.

Life is full of statistics. Sometimes that's all we can hold on to, and sometimes they mean nothing at all. I can't put numbers to the joy shining in my dog's eyes when I throw a toy for him, or wrap a statistic around the contentment I feel when I've spent the day in the candle-lit quiet of my home. I can't weigh my husband's love or measure the worth of my cat.

It's a good thing, then, that I don't need to.


Copyright 2014 Michelle Hakala
http://www.winebird.com/







   


No comments:

Post a Comment