Sunday, August 1, 2010

Brief, Mild, And Ho-Hum

After Friday night's drenching rain, I happened to see (yesterday morning) a section of Fort Lowell Road where the Auga Caliente Wash crosses it. And this narrow section was awash with flowing water.

Agua Caliente Wash crossing Fort Lowell Road


While walking past this scene, I was fortunate enough to snap a quick pic of an intrepid driver ignoring the warning signs.

There's one in every crowd



The local TV newscasters frequently warn drivers that as little as six inches of rapidly flowing water can wash a vehicle off the road. Some people will never learn.

. . .

Science-Based Medicine has an article titled Risibility. The Superior Therapeutic Intervention? That seemed to me to be a clever play-on-words type of title (reminiscent of Laughter The Best Medicine) for a serious medical publication and so I decided to read on. Until I was stopped by a grammar mistake in the first sentence.

Which was: "We have a saying in medicine that you can't kill an jerk."

What? -- ...you can't kill 'an' jerk? And I wondered if this was merely an editing typo or if perhaps the writer himself had used 'an' instead of 'a' in the sentence.

Yes, I know that I am nit-picking again, but that's just me and there's no use denying it. After three or four more paragraphs it was bothering me so badly that I gave up on what was probably a quite insightful and entertaining piece, and moved on to the next blog on my list. After all, I am free to select or reject anything I please, for whatever reason, in the privacy of my own computer room. Right? Even if I am 'cutting of my nose to spite my face' -- right?

Right!
. . .

Mike borrowed from the library one of the old Richard Bachman (Stephen King's pseudonym) books titled Blaze -- and since it is one of the few titles that I have not previously read I intend to read it in the near future, perhaps beginning as soon as tonight. I always liked reading Stephen King's stories.

. . .

I read a blog entry titled Stop Following Me and chuckled over the following observation: "The creature that can see with equal clarity from either end is a blind horse."-- and even though this statement was confusing to a certain someone that I repeated it to... I'm still glad that I read it and remembered it.

Why? Who knows?

. . .

My new word for today is puissant
(PWISS-uhnt) Adjective
According to an online dictionary:
puissant is defined as: powerful, mighty, having authority

. . .

Once again I have been notified by a certain reader that my blog entries have lately been too brief, overly mild, and lukewarm to the point of ho-hum... and lacking any useful or entertaining content. All I can say to that provocative comment is:

"Oh yeah?"

1 comment:

  1. I think you misquoted the horse tidbit,
    and that's why I didn't get it.

    You said something like: The only animal that
    can see equally in both directions.

    And no, I'm not trying to be an jerk.

    ReplyDelete