Sunday, September 2, 2012

Readin', Writin', And . . .



_____


I just bought another book from Amazon. The title is Learn Mexican Spanish - Word Power 101 [Kindle Edition] -- And, as usual, the price was $0.

Even though I am still able to somewhat communicate with patient and kindly neighborhood Mexicans, using the Spanish language, I have lost a big share of the Spanish vocabulary I once had from my one year in High School (back in 1955) plus the many, many additional words I learned from my two best friends (from Puerto Rico) who were stationed with me at Homestead AFB (near Miami, FL) back in the late 1950s. Juan Munoz and Luis Gracia taught me a great deal of and about the Spanish language. But, as I wrote earlier, I have lost much of the vocabulary from lack of usage and with advancing age.

Here in Tucson I receive via indoor-antenna about six Spanish language TV channels, and I occasionally tune into some of the nature shows, especially the ones featuring wild animals in their native habitats. Time after time while watching them I have heard the word "peligroso" and each time I vowed to look up that word, as it is one I had forgotten. Well, I now have a Spanish language book, and, well... while browsing through it today, I came across that word -- it means dangerous. I don't think I will forget it again.

And I intend to watch more of those Spanish language programs, maybe even the soap operas. They seem to be pretty steamy.


The Kindle book I am currently in the process of reading is a collection of modern short stories and I must say that I am enjoying it immensely. Its title is The Games Men Play and it was written by a talented author by the name of Joe Schwartz. The stories remind me of how things seem (to me) to really be in middle-class America in these early years of the twenty-first century.

I downloaded it from Amazon.com last week and I do not at all regret doing so. The price was $0 -- If you are interested in checking it out, you can go to Amazon and click on the book's image and then "Look Inside" for a preview. The link to that site is below.

LINK



From Reading To Writing . . .

Robert Burdette Sweet, in Writing Towards Wisdom; The Writer as Shaman advised:

Write at least until you become blithering and exhausted and have no control over your pen. Then write more. The point is to permit what you repress to surface, to dream through words.

Trust yourself.

When reading over what you’ve written in this uninhibited manner, circle whatever images, ideas, names or events that repeat. And if you write long enough in a submerged state something will repeat. After all what Hawthorne did was write guilt, guilt, guilt, guilt. And Kafka did write father, punishment, father, father, father and Hemingway did growl cowardice, courage, cowardice, cowardice.


_____


WORD FOR TODAY


vainglorious [vane-glohr-ee-uhs]
 adj
boastful or vain; ostentatious.

 From:
vainglory [vane-glohr-ee]
noun   
Inordinate pride in oneself or one's achievements; excessive vanity.

_____


BORN ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY


Christa McAuliffe
Born Sept. 2, 1948
Died Jan 28, 1986

Christa McAuliffe was an American teacher from Concord, New Hampshire, and was one of the seven crew members killed in the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster.



Mark Harmon


Born Sept 2, 1951
Age: 60 years old

Thomas Mark Harmon is an American actor. Since the mid 1970s, he has appeared in a variety of television, film and stage roles following a brief career as a collegiate football player with the UCLA Bruins. Since 2003, Harmon has starred as Leroy Jethro Gibbs in the hit CBS series NCIS. Harmon has two older sisters, actress and painter Kristin Nelson, the former wife of singer Ricky Nelson, and actress-model Kelly Harmon
.

Note:
I remember Mark Harmon for his excellent portrayal of the fascination serial killer Ted Bundy in the movie The Deliberate Stranger.


 Born Sept 2, 1966
Age: 45 years old

Salma Hayek Jiménez de Pinault is a Mexican born American film actress, director and producer. She received an Academy Award nomination for Best Actress for her role as Frida Kahlo in the film
Frida.



Keanu Reeves


Born Sept 2, 1964
Age: 47 years old

Keanu Charles Reeves is a Canadian film actor. Reeves is known for his roles in Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure as well as Speed, Point Break and the science fiction-action trilogy The Matrix.


__________

The first draft of everything is shit.
--Ernest Hemingway

No comments:

Post a Comment