Thursday, August 6, 2015

Females In Fiction



____________________

Last night I watched (on the SyFy channel) John Carpenter's The Thing (1982 version).


I noticed that there were no females in the story, which I found so interesting that I looked up the movie on the Internet, and found,: "the only female presence in the film is the voice of a chess computer, voiced by Carpenter regular (and then-wife) Adrienne Barbeau, as well as the female contestants viewed on a videotaped episode of Let's Make a Deal."

The lack of female characters in this movie reminded me of the time, many years ago, when I wrote a short story and submitted it to a popular magazine. The rejection slip I received informed me that, even though it was interesting and well-written, it is almost impossible to sell a story in this modern age which conteins no female characters.

Yep, it's a bitch but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

_____

I fully intend to watch the GOP debate hosted by the Fox News Channel tonight. Don't know why, becayse I don't really care who becomes President of the United States. None of them will be able to retain competence under the tremendous political pressures brought to bear by the various Party officials and their behind-the-scenes multi- billionaire bosses.


One reason I want to watch is because I am curious to discover which of the candidates (if any) use or overuse that puerile piece of ridiculous rhetoric... that is of course, "You know."

puerile
adjective
childishly silly and trivial.

rhetoric
noun
language designed to have a persuasive or impressive effect on its audience, but often regarded as lacking in sincerity or meaningful content.

__________



No comments:

Post a Comment