Monday, August 24, 2015

NOT ALL LIVES MATTER



____________________

I love good movies that move forward at thrilling speed, scene after compelling scene, and yet contain hints of a certain intellectual meat looming in the background. But because of the incessant writing-school dialogue and predictable explosive cartoon-like action and the tired, run-of-the-mill resurrected age-old plots, I have reluctantly restricted most of my current TV watching to the cable news shows.

It seems that a new movement called BLACK LIVES MATTER has captured the imaginations of a few disgruntled black activists. Well, I believe that some black lives matter. And some do not.

Another series of TV shows I have been following is LOCKUP, wherein cameramen and reporters enter various prisons and document the activities and supposed philosophies of selected prisoners, euphemistically labeled "inmates."

Being the simple, average, emotion-driven TV viewer that I am, I have listened to enough self-descriptions of inmate attitudes to convince myself that some black people (and brown people, and white people) have lives that absolutely do NOT matter. I n fact, in my opinion, there are countless lives lived in civilized society which would have been better served if each had been legally aborted.

And it's not limited to men only

Examples of longtime inmate (lifers) declarations:

"I just like to hurt people, and
I ain't gonna change... ever."

"I'm turned on by young kids. and
that ain't never gonna change... ever."

I hate all niggers and Jews, and
nothin's gonna change my mind... ever."

"If I ever get out of here, I'll rape
and kill some more bitches... gladly."

And there are more... many, many more


_____

Did You Know . . .?

Dogs lick you because they lick each other to show affection, groom, heal, and communicate what they want. (They also think you taste good, because you’re salty and sometimes you have tiny food particles on your skin.)

_____


HISTORICAL EVENT

On this day in 1981, Mark David Chapman was sentenced to 20 years to life for the murder of John Lennon, a founding member of The Beatles, one of the most successful bands in the history of popular music.

Mark David Chapman
On December 8, 1980, Chapman shot and killed the 40-year-old singer, songwriter and peace activist, outside Lennon’s New York City apartment building, the Dakota, where he lived with his wife Yoko Ono and their young son Sean.

_____

WORD FOR TODAY

ilk
noun
a type of people or things similar to those already referred to.

_____

CELEBRITY BIRTHDAYS

Marlee Beth Matlin
(born August 24, 1965)

Marlee Matlin is an American actress. She won the Academy Award for Best Actress in a Leading Role for Children of a Lesser God (1986), and is both the only deaf performer to win the award, and, at 21, the youngest to date.


Rebecca Leigh Mader
(born April 24, 1977)

Rebecca Mader is an English actress, best known for her roles as Charlotte Lewis in the ABC series Lost, and as Zelena, the Wicked Witch of the West, on ABC's Once Upon a Time.

__________



No comments:

Post a Comment