Monday, February 28, 2011

Reading and Writing and Other Stuff


I read a story titled SWEETHEARTS by Richard Ford and I liked it very much. If you read it I'd like to know your opinion of it.


"I try to be candid and level with people, and not purvey a bunch of horseshit."
--Richard Ford
_____

The current Issue of America (the national catholic weekly) sponsers the Foley Poetry Contest with a prize of $1,000. Wow!

Wergle Floomp humor poetry contest is another site with worthwhile prizes for the winning entry.

The Tom Howard/John H. Reid Short Story Contest
might be of some interest, although it requires a $15 entry fee. I am leery of contests that ask for an entry fee.
_____

What Should I Write About Next?

_____

I recently bought a 99-cent Kindle eBook titled Alone. It is a police procedure action novel written by Lisa Gardner and I found it to be surprisingly enjoyable... an excellent example of skillfully applied 'craftsmanship' with no pretension of being 'literature' -- just a 'good read.' It was good enough that I intend to read some more of Lisa Gardner's work.
_____

Let The Great World Spin by Colum McCaan is another eBook I am thinking about buying, even though it is a bit pricey (for a Kindle book) -- I downloaded an excerpt from the book in .pdf format and as soon as I get around to reading it I will decide if I want to pay Amazon.com $6 for it... or not.

__________

"The writer must believe that what he is doing is the most important thing in the world. And he must hold to this illusion even when he knows it is not true."
--John Steinbeck

No comments:

Post a Comment