Saturday, December 31, 2011

Politics And The Common People



_____

In 1960 I became 21 years of age. Four days later my eldest son was born. And I registered to vote for the first time in my life. I voted for John F. Kennedy, mainly to piss off my dad who was a life-long fervent Republican. It worked. But that was the only time (so far) that I voted the Democratic ticket. In one presidential election, many years later, I voted for an Independent, Ross Perot.

(Yeah, yeah . . . I know)

_____

The basic problem of present-day governmental gridlock seems to be a stubborn resistance to change.

Why is there such unreasonable demand on the part of the intelligent Conservative leaders that abortion should not be legal, even though it is, and, (undeniably to thinking people) it should be?

And why will intelligent Liberal leaders refuse to concede that too much federal money is spent (wasted) on inflated entitlement programs?

It almost seems as if the politicians want to keep the voting citizens of each party at the throats of the other.

Right?

Ha!

Answered my own questions, didn't I?

They're politicians.


Politicians must bow to their constituents to be elected to power and to remain in power, and constituents are, for the most part, common everyday members of what is called the electorate, or members of the people.

Hey!

I wonder how many of these constituents know who Holland Taylor is.


Chelsea Charlie's girlfriend
(on TWO and a half MEN)


This is NOT Holland Taylor
This is Jennifer Taylor



THIS is Holland Taylor


Charlie's Mom
(on TWO and a half MEN)


What's my point?

Who knows?

Must everything have a point?

_____

One of these days I will be dead; the upside of which is that I will never again have to decide which candidate to vote for.

__________

Everybody talked about Freud when I lived in New Orleans, but I have never read him. Neither did Shakespeare. I doubt if Melville did either, and I'm sure Moby Dick didn't.
--William Faulkner

No comments:

Post a Comment