Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year, 2012




_____


In the past I have railed about the use (and overuse) of the word very. And it seems that I am not alone in my dislike for that nearly always unnecessary word that has now become totally meaningless.

"Very" is one of those English words that is overused. There are some editors and teachers, I've been told, who routinely eliminate each "very" they come across in an article or paper they are correcting.

Political speakers seem to be addicted to using the word very. A presidential candidate recently stated, "If that were to happen I would be very, very, very surprised." If you are surprised, how can adding multiple repetitions of the word very make you more surprised?

Think about it.

Not long ago I ran across the phrase, "... is a very contemporary novel." Can a novel be very contemporary? I don't think so.

I could be wrong though.

_____


Baby-back ribs are essentially pork chop bones.

All glammed up for the feast . . .

_____

After looking back at my earlier blog entries I was struck by the realization of how many of them were born of negativity and unglified by my most judgmental thoughts. If I can keep this in mind, perhaps this trend can be reversed. After all, I am, and always have been, a lover of laughter. But most of my attempts at creating humor have a sharp and cutting edge, and they more often than not bring dark thoughts to the reader, instead of my intended comradely good will.

In this new year, I will try to reverse that trend.

Wish me luck.

__________

From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it.
--Groucho Marx

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, M . . . I need all the luck I can get. And thanks again for the scrumptious ham.

    ReplyDelete