Friday, May 21, 2010

Adornment

I have( too) often heard it sad, "Oh, how handsome you look in that tuxedo" -- but to me dressing up in formal clothing is ridiculous. I just can't see the point of it.

John Grisham said: "Writers can wear anything. I could go to a black-tie dinner in New York City with blue jeans on and boots and a cowboy hat and a bow tie, and people would just say, 'Oh, he's a writer.'

Thank goodness that I call myself a writer.

Even the plant world, it seems, seeks to enhance its appearance.

Here is a trio of Saguaro (pronounced Suh-WHARR-oh, I think) Cactus in Mike's backyard pool area. They are, at this time of year, sporting floral crowns.


Here's a closeup of one of the flowers


Of course, the ornate tiara helps the viewer to ignore the painful ugliness of the thorny hide that supports it.

I've been told that the crown of flowers usually open up during the nighttime when the (fruit?) bats are flitting about. Pollination, and such.

I have also been told that the Saguaro does not develop its signature 'arms' until it reaches the age of 100 years.


One can read all the facts about the Saguaro at Wikipedia


While sitting in a medical waiting room I was treated to the sight of an extremely obese young lady who displayed a pearl stud within her nose-piercing, a crimson rose tattoo on the back of her neck, and a (diamond?) jeweled bracelet biting into the ample flesh of her artlessly exposed ankle.

I did feel that she was not as attractive as are those startlingly-white desert flowers adorning the head of a Saguaro.

But, as always... what do I know?

No comments:

Post a Comment