Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Apropos Of Very Little


__________

(Note: apropos: adj. of an appropriate or pertinent nature)

__________


The Greatest Comic Strip Of All Time




Created by
Al Capp




Imagine if you can a 13-year-old boy living in a Protestant-Christian Indiana farming town in the (generally ignorant, unenlightened, and sexually stupid) year of 1952.

Imagine the effect that a scantily dressed hill-girl in a Chicago Sun Times comic strip might have on that perpetually confused mush-brained adolescent.

Daisy Mae


Imagine that.

. . .

Supposedly religious Americans actually do not know much about their professed religious affiliation.

A new survey of Americans' knowledge of religion found that atheists, agnostics, Jews and Mormons outperformed Protestants and Roman Catholics in answering questions about major religions, while many respondents could not correctly give the most basic tenets of their own faiths.

This does not surprise me because I discovered that fact for myself from conversations with friends and acquaintances throughout my lifetime. It seems that the more one learns (and thinks seriously) about any organized religion the more skeptical the person becomes.

Imagine that.

. . .

Using my imagination has always been easy for me. In fact, if I were to reveal some of my imaginings my mailing address would probably include the name of a mental institution. So, it is perplexing to find that I have never had one of my Science Fiction stories published.

Several years ago, Shawna McCarthy, the then editor of Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine, included in a hand-written rejection slip her opinion that my writing is much better and more imaginative than the general run of slush pile submissions -- but that my stories are too far out and too foreign to the tastes of the magazine's readership.

Something like that . . .

Ms McCarthy preferred tried-and-true and easily understood stories. And the magazine, under her editorship, suffered for it.

In my opinion.

Imagine that.

__________


“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
--Albert Einstein

No comments:

Post a Comment