Sunday, September 12, 2010

Nothing Much Today, Again


Yesterday afternoon I watched an old black & white movie filmed in 1939 (year of my birth) on TCM titled Young Mister Lincoln, with Abraham Lincoln played by Henry Fonda. There is no doubt that the humorous antics of Mister Lincoln and the melodramatic incidents portraying simple backwoods goodness were exaggerated. But the veracity and historical accuracy amount to little in such a tale... what counts is entertainment, and the satisfaction of the audience.

Henry Fonda as young Abraham Lincoln


Here is a YouTube video -- scenes from the movie.

Below is a link to another short YouTube video, a much shorter but more poignant one exemplifying the fine job Henry Fonda did in his role of Young Mister Lincoln. It is pretty much my favorite scenes from the movie.

Here is the link:


. . .

This morning there are things on my mind that preclude blog-entry writing. One of these things is trying to interpret some comments I received regarding a poem I wrote recently and submitted for critique to a variety of places. Another is difficulty I am having in... oh, well, that's not important enough to worry about.

More another day, perhaps.

Thank you for reading...


"I'll give you the whole secret of short-story writing. Here it is. Rule I: Write stories that please yourself. There is no Rule II."
--William Sidney Porter (O. Henry)

1 comment:

  1. "Another is difficulty I am having in... oh, well, that's not important enough to worry about."

    Perhaps not to worry about, sir; but this difficulty you're experiencing is important to describe, if not to explain.

    Then again, I must remember that you are a clever writer; and so maybe you intended to leave your readers with a classic cliffhanger.

    Do tell.

    AVT

    ReplyDelete