Monday, September 27, 2010

Suggestions And Random Info


As I read the efforts of new writers who submit manuscripts for critique to various Help-For-Writers websites, I find one basic flaw in most of them. And if I were to offer a suggestion to those whose submissions are constantly being rejected, it would be this: Your manuscript lacks one key element that would make it acceptable to an editor -- conflict. Without it, one reads only a textual description of the setting and the characters, and a bit of mild dialogue.

Without a compelling problem for one of the characters to overcome, there is no story.

Of course my suggestion is aimed at those writers who are submitting commercially conventional stories, crafted tales aimed at the masses of modern readers seeking entertainment, not those deeply profound literary works of art. While I enjoy reading some of them, I know nothing of creating that most worthy type of intellectual tale.

Besides, I am merely offering a reader's suggestion on how to get a story accepted by a publisher. I am certainly not qualified to teach someone how to write.

. . .


Of Interest To Struggling New Writers

The Public Query Slushpile is a blog wherein you can read actual queries written by writers with manuscripts to sell, writers who welcome suggestions on how to improve submitted queries and make them more attractive to an agent.

And you can submit your own query, as well.

. . .

Yesterday I saw another coyote skulking near the wall of a neighbor's house. I snapped one picture before it disappeared into the thicker brush but it was in deep shade and so the picture does not show its light-brown coloring.

(Click picture for a larger view)

One of these day's I'll get a good, solid close-up of ol' Wile E. Coyote

. . .

Over at A.Word.A.Day Anu Garg amazed me (as Anu often does) by proposing the following:

In Saudi Arabia a woman in public has to be covered head to toe or risk arrest. In India it's socially acceptable if a woman's torso and legs are clad. In the US it's tolerable as long as her top and bottom are not exposed. And in Europe anything (or nothing) is fair game. Which one of these configurations is correct? Who decides? Well, here is an idea: Why not let a woman decide for herself? The same goes for books. Instead of banning certain books, why not let a reader decide what books he wants to read, and what books to buy or borrow?

Now, are not those last four sentences the most common-sense declarations (in the form of questions) you've ever read? Well, maybe not the most common-sense, but right up there with the top common-sense ideas. Anu Garg writes so clearly and so persuasively that after reading many of Anu's easily understood and well-expressed thoughts I (unbelievably) found myself actually changing my mind regarding some issues. And convincing me to change my mind is not an easy thing for anyone to do.

If you are interested in improving your mind with a minimum of effort and time expenditure, I would heartily recommend that you subscribe to Anu Garg's AWAD (A Word A Day) not only to add a new word to your vocabulary each day but also to glean from the daily email some truly valuable information.

__________

No comments:

Post a Comment