Wednesday, December 29, 2010

I Am Not An Atheist

_____


_____

A great many people believe in a personal God, a supremely powerful entity that is responsible for the creation of the entire universe and all things in it, and who is vitally interested in the minute by minute, second by second actions and thoughts of each living person's everyday life.

I do not.

All the many wrongs I have committed throughout my long life are my sole responsibility, committed either from my own ignorance of the harm I was bringing about to others or through the all too many pleasure seeking indulgences of my inborn and wholly instinctive animal passions.

My wrongdoings are my own. They are not merely the bits and pieces of some hugely complex plan of some unseen and unknowable divinity.

#

Catholicism

The Predator Priest Who Got Away:

The Rev. Lawrence C. Murphy admitted he sexually abused deaf boys at his boarding school for 22 years. Victims tried for more than three decades to bring him to justice, but documents show that the church neither defrocked him nor referred him for prosecution.

Catholic priest molests 200 deaf boys says The New York Times.

According to The Times, that priest was Lawrence C. Murphy, who worked at a renowned school for deaf children for 22 years. But it is only one of thousands of cases forwarded over decades by bishops to the Vatican.

The Catholic Church . . . "yuk!"

#

Islam

An adherent of Islam is called a Muslim.

Muslims believe that God is one and incomparable. Muslims also believe that Islam is the complete and universal version of a primordial faith that was revealed at many times and places before, including through the prophets Abraham, Moses and Jesus.

I prefer to say nothing here, and at this time, about Islam.

After all, its many publicized actions speak for itself.

#

The Protestants

Once a protester, always a protester. Members of the Protestant Church believe that God, goodness, and evil are exactly what each individual protestant believes those things to be, within his or her own individual mind.

There is a great truth stated in the King James Bible, which is:

Vanity of vanities,
saith the Preacher,
vanity of vanities;
all is vanity.

--Ecclesiastes 1:2

#

I am not an Atheist

While I have become unable to believe in the simplistic concept of a personal God as proposed by the major organized religions, I cannot bring myself to smugly deny the possibility of some ultra-powerful entity existing within (or perhaps outside of) the thought-model we label as the universe.

The early morning sky above the peaks of the Rincon Mountains I am now seeing out my window from the corner of my eye as I type this...


...could be but a single unit (cell?) of some superhuman being that is somehow responsible for regulating some facet of the workings of the cosmos.


Or The Earth itself could be that single cell.




Or, our solar system could be that single cell.



Or a galaxy could be that single cell.



Or, perhaps the entire universe, composed of billions of galaxies could itself be that single cell.

(give that some thought)

Organized religions are so chintzy with their paltry concepts of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment