Tuesday, December 21, 2010

I Caught The Full Moon Last Night



This one made me LAUGH!



The above panel is one of many funny, funny comic strips that I've been enjoying from the site, xkcd,com: http://xkcd.com/

#

I caught the full moon last nigh just as it rose up above the Rincon mountain peaks. As in almost all things, the picture below does not do justice to the actual viewing at twilight as recorded by the ever-questing eyes of an awestruck watcher.

Tucson, AZ Full Moon, 5:30 P.M. December 20, 2010

(Click photo to see full-size picture)

In all sincerity I thought that I might get out of my warm winter's-night bed at just after midnight and carry my camera outside to witness and attempt to record the long duration of the December 2010 lunar eclipse. But, of course, I did not do so, instead merely slept thorough this singular period of history as I have done so many other times throughout my life... so far.

#

Word For Today

katzenjammer
(KAT-sen-jam-uhr)
noun:
1. Hangover
2. Distress; depression.
3. Confusion; clamor; uproar.


When I was a little kid my dad subscribed to the Chicago Sun Times and one of my favorite comic strips was The Katzenjammer Kids. Every Sunday I thrilled to the hilariously naughty and anti-authority exploits of Hans and Fritz.


The Katzenjammer Kids was the second strip I turned to, immediately after reading my very favorite, which was, of course, Li'l Abner...

(and Daisy Mae, of course)

#

Global Warming



From: National Geographic --

Mars, too, appears to be enjoying more mild and balmy temperatures. In 2005 data from NASA's Mars Global Surveyor and Odyssey missions revealed that the carbon dioxide "ice caps" near Mars's south pole had been diminishing for three summers in a row.

Habibullo Abdussamatov, head of space research at St. Petersburg's Pulkovo Astronomical Observatory in Russia, says the Mars data is evidence that the current global warming on Earth is being caused by changes in the sun.

"The long-term increase in solar irradiance is heating both Earth and Mars," he said.

And Robert W. Felix said:
"I used to say that global warming is a myth.
I take that back. The idea of human-caused
global warming is a flat-out lie."

#

During one of my daily walks I noticed and cropped out a picture of an unusual juxtaposition of a Christmas Angel and a road sign. Was this some sort of message? Or am I being a tad bit too subjective here?

? ? ? ?


Oops! One more . . .

(yuk yuk)

__________

"My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse
or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference."
--President Harry S. Truman

No comments:

Post a Comment