Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Arts And Crafts




I have some thoughts regarding last night's State Of The Union speech, but I believe that I should give myself some time to muse upon those thoughts. And the thoughts of established columnists and political writers. So, if I decide to share my opinions about the speech on the blog I will do so tomorrow.
_____

I am not a musical person. I could get along quite well without any music at all in my life. Most music, to me, is nothing more than a distraction. I am aware of music playing in the background but only because it tends to disturb the focus of my thoughts.

I think that I can recognize a well crafted piece of music whether the craftsmanship be in the choice of words selected to create the song, its instrumental accompaniment, or the depth of emotion the singer brings to the song's delivery. But I, unlike most other people, cannot detect exactly how or when a well-crafted piece of music is transformed into a Work Of Art.

But at times I find myself mysteriously moved by a particular piece of music, or by the sound of a singer's voice, and I ask myself is that then, ART?

All I can say, about music, is: "I know what I like."


Born On This Day

Etta James


born January 25, 1938
died January 20, 2012

Etta James passes away -- announcement, information, and videos, including At Last.


My non-recognition of Art and Artistry also exists within the realm of literature.


Margaret Atwood



In The Blind Assassin Margaret Atwood wrote: "The only way you can write the truth is to assume that what you set down will never be read. Not by any other person, and not even by yourself at some later date. Otherwise you begin excusing yourself. You must see the writing as emerging like a long scroll of ink from the index finger of your right hand; you must see your left hand erasing it."

Margaret Atwood is another author who has written many books that I have never got around to reading, although I have meant for a long time to read them all. And I know that I had better get to it without further delay.

As for the craftsmanship or the artistic quality of the written word...

"I know what I like."

__________

"If we were all on trial for our thoughts, we would all be hanged."
--Margaret Atwood

No comments:

Post a Comment