Monday, January 30, 2012

Politics And We The People



_____

Although I continue to comment from time to time regarding presidential candidates, I hereby admit that I know little about politics and about government machinations. When writing about politicians I am usually expressing either the opinions I agree with that I have read about or overheard from others, or else I am clumsily trying to put my crude gut-feelings into words.

And let's not get into the high-level top-secret stuff the public doesn't know about, and never will know about.

I am saying that civics is a mystery to me and one I have no real interest in learning about. In fact, I think the country would be better off if I (and all who are as politically ignorant as am I) would simply abstain from voting in national elections.

To Vote Or Not To Vote

Two Potential Republican Candidates



To Vote Or Not To Vote

The Democratic Candidate

_____

There is a seemingly small item from history that is threatening to burst forth into the news again. It is the objection to and a re-examination of the following:

The words, under God were added to the Pledge of Allegiance by Act of Congress and signed by President Eisenhower, on Flag Day, June 14, 1954.

President Dwight David Eisenhower
Added "Under God" to the Pledge of Allegiance


On that date I had just turned 15 a month before, and when we went back to school in the fall, I remember how hard it was for the teacher to get all of us in the Freshman class to voice the under God phrase. If I recall correctly, I never did say those two words aloud while reciting in a school group, all of us mush-brains standing there at attention every morning facing the flag with our grubby little hands over our grubby little hearts.

American education?

American indoctrination.

Ah yes, those were the days.

__________

A fool and his money are soon elected.
--Will Rogers

No comments:

Post a Comment