Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Religion Is Like A Penis

Born on this day, January 17, 1706

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN


1706 - 1790

_____

The Atheist Delusion is a much cussed and much discussed article in The University Times attempting to disprove the scientific tenets of Atheism. (A tenet is a principle, belief or doctrine generally held to be true.) The many comments following the article seem to indicate that its not-so-bright author failed miserably in his attempt.

One of the comments following the article caught my eye and tickled my fancy. It was:

"Religion is like a penis. It’s fine to have one and it’s fine to be proud of it, but please don’t whip it out in public and start waving it around… and PLEASE don’t try to shove it down my child’s throat."

The comment was posted by 'Jim' who has a website of his own. I visited the site and found it to be quite interesting.

Here is a link to Jim's site.
_____

As I have said many times and often (too often?) posted: I am NOT an atheist. Observations throughout my lifetime (so far) lead me to believe that the various gods proposed and described by all organized religions probably do not exist. But I only 'doubt' that gods exist.. I do not know it to be a fact. I suppose you can say that I am a 'doubter' rather that a confirmed atheist.

_____

This section is not about Religion... or is it? I haven't read the entire offering from edge yet, and since it contains such a great amount of information, I probably never will... finish it, that is. But I wanted to mention it and link to it as soon as possible. The link is immediately below:

The Edge Question 2012: WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE DEEP, ELEGANT, OR BEAUTIFUL EXPLANATION?

Here is how The Edge Question 2012 starts:

Scientists' greatest pleasure comes from theories that derive the solution to some deep puzzle from a small set of simple principles in a surprising way. These explanations are called "beautiful" or "elegant". Historical examples are Kepler's explanation of complex planetary motions as simple ellipses, Bohr's explanation of the periodic table of the elements in terms of electron shells, and Watson and Crick's double helix. Einstein famously said that he did not need experimental confirmation of his general theory of relativity because it "was so beautiful it had to be true."

I have read only a few of the responses so far, but I am hooked on it.

__________

“Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
--Steven Weinberg

Steven Weinberg is an American theoretical physicist and Nobel laureate in Physics.


No comments:

Post a Comment