Monday, April 16, 2012

I Kinda Like This Hiatus Thing



_____


While reading a fine essay about human rights I came across the word manyfold which I don't remember ever having encountered before, so I decided the author meant manifold, a word with which I am familiar. To my surprise, I discovered that both of those words are listed in all of the popular online dictionaries and that their meanings are identical.

manyfold
By many times: Example: The state's population has increased manyfold.

manifold
: many times : a great deal Example: will increase your blessings manifold.

As always, I live and learn.

_____


WORD FOR TODAY

afflatus (uh-FLAY-tus)
noun
1. inspiration; an impelling mental force acting from within.
2. divine communication of knowledge.


_____


BORN ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY


Born April 16, 1889
Died Dec. 25 1977

Charlie Chaplin had 12 children; the last child was son Christopher who was born when Charlie was 73. Hm. I will be 73 next month.

_____

__________

"The books that everybody admires are those that nobody reads."
--Anatole France

No comments:

Post a Comment