Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Just A Quick Thought



_____


Nude Woman with a Necklace


It is reported that Pablo Picasso said,
“Everything you can imagine is real.”

I have mused upon that statement and just can't seem to understand what he meant by saying it. Perhaps he meant to reinforce the overused proverb: reality is perception, which I have heard spouted many times. Many times. I've never been sure what that means, either.

I have read that Picasso took up writing as an alternative outlet and that between 1935 and 1959 he wrote over 300 poems. I have never read even one of those poems. I am now going to do some research and if possible read some of his poems.


For nearly half an hour I have been reading the poems of Pablo Picasso -- and as I suspected, I can make no more sense of them as poems than I could for his seemingly self-indulgent paintings and sculptures.

Why should it be that I can never seem able to grasp the meanings from the material outpourings of any proclaimed genius? Are their mental processes so vastly different from mine? It is always so, or so it seems to me. Perhaps all artistic geniuses are genuinely insane. And I am not.

Or is it that I do not appreciate fine art because I have not been properly educated -- have not sufficiently committed the myriad of details to memory, have not retained all the details not imparted to me by those who have dutifully retained them from those who earlier shared the most arcane of mysteries with classes of open-mouthed, open-minded students.

Perhaps . . .

And I wonder if Pablo Picasso could have ever understood my thoughts had I worked hard enough to give him the opportunity to encounter any of them.

_____


WORD FOR TODAY

grok
Verb
1. Understand (something) intuitively or by empathy.
2. Empathize or communicate sympathetically; establish a rapport.

Used in a sentence: "I do not grok works of art."

_____


BORN THIS DAY IN HISTORY

(Colonel Potter)

Born April 10, 1915
Died Dec. 7, 2011

__________

“It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you are not.”
--André Gide

No comments:

Post a Comment