Saturday, April 21, 2012

I'm Not An Atheist, Dammit!



_____


Recently, after explaining that it was President Eisenhower in 1954 who added the words "under God" into the Pledge of Allegiance, I was told via email, "All you damned atheists are so f***in' stupid it was our Lord who wrote that."

Well, in the first place, I am not an atheist, as I have said over and over again here in this blog. An atheist believes and announces that there is no god, while I merely doubt the existence of the personal god who created all things as described by most religious organizations. And that is a big difference. I do not flaunt my intelligence by arrogantly proclaiming, "There is no god" -- nor do I decry the faithful when they repeat some of the fantastic and unreasonable things that they feel compelled to say in defense of their chosen dogma.

The phrase "under God" was incorporated into the Pledge of Allegiance June 14, 1954, by a Joint Resolution of Congress.

'nuff said.

_____


As mentioned yesterday I walked across the street to the styling salon and asked for a GI haircut.


This is how I look now.


_____


WORD FOR TODAY

canny
adj.
showing self-interest and shrewdness in dealing with others
Synonyms:
sly - astute - artful - prudent - crafty - wily - wary

_____


BORN ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY


Born April 21, 1951

Known for playing the character Tony Banta on TAXI and later as Tony Micelli on Who's The Boss.

_____

__________

“Poetry is a language that tells us, through a more or less emotional reaction, something that cannot be said.”
--Edwin Arlington Robinson
(3 time Pulitzer Prize winner)

2 comments:

  1. Gene, Whoever this Danza guy is (was?), he needs a haircut. You, on the other hand, are looking stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, thank you Anthony. I think that's the first time I have been described as looking "stylish" -- my son thinks the photo is "scary" and I think it just looks like an old guy trying to be comfortable.

    ReplyDelete