Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Just A Smidge . . .



_____

While reading Grammar Girl's blog regarding daylight-saving time I discovered a new fact. I read: "Most countries have signed on to the idea of a standard world time system. For them the world is divided into 24 time zones, and each zone differs by an hour from the time zone next to it."

That there are 24 time zones in the world is something I did not know. How about that?

Daylight-saving time? (Ha!) -- I live in Tucson, Arizona, and we do not bow down to such senseless conventions. We do not change our clocks, neither ahead nor back. Never.

And Grammar Girl taught me:

There are at least two acceptable ways to write a.m. and p.m., which are abbreviations for ante meridiem and post meridiem. Ante meridiem is Latin for "before noon" and post meridiem is Latin for "after noon." Note that it is meridieM, with an m, not meridiaN, with an n.

How 'bout that?

_____


That's all for now . . .

__________

No comments:

Post a Comment