Friday, March 11, 2011

This Is Johnny Appleseed Day...


Today is the anniversary of the birth of John Chapman -- better known as Johnny Appleseed.


I have heard stories of Johnny Appleseed from the earliest times I can remember, mostly told to me by my grandmother in the 1940s in my small hometown in Northwest Indiana... but I was formally introduced to the true history of the man, John Chapman, when I was an eighth-grader in my Indiana History class. And I have never fortgotten those early tall-tales, nor the genuine facts about the man.

Fascinating!

_____

Apples


We're told that an apple a day keeps the doctor away, but what exactly are the health benefits of apples? Here are ten reasons to heed the advice of that old proverb.


_____

Basic Nutrition Facts About Apples

> Apples don't have fat, cholesterol or sodium, which may help you maintain heart health and a healthy weight.

> Apples do have lots of fiber - both soluble and insoluble kinds. Fiber may help promote heart health and maintain regularity.

> Apples contain small amounts of potassium, which may promote heart health and help maintain healthy blood pressure.


_____

That's enough for today. I have a great deal of creative writing and other writing-related chores to do, and can no longer put them off. And besides, I have an apple out in the kitchen that is waiting to be eaten.


__________

"Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree."
-- Martin Luther

No comments:

Post a Comment