Monday, March 28, 2011

SOME OF THE S**T OTHER PEOPLE SAY


_____


_____

Medical Science

A few minutes ago I read that on this day in 1941 Virginia Woolf committed suicide... and that the chief treatment prescribed for Woolf when she suffered from depression was something known then as the "rest cure." She would be confined to her home, or to a nursing home, and not allowed to read or write, the two things she found most therapeutic and restorative to her troubled mind. Stuff like that always reminds me of the old question and answer:

"What's the difference between God and a doctor?"

. . . ????? . . .

"God doesn't think he's a doctor."

_____

Another item I read recently is that Nelson Algren's later novels and stories featured the down-and-out, the loser, and the reject.

Hm. Sounds like my kind of people.

In 'A Walk on the Wild Side' Algren gave his three rules for life: "Never play cards with a man called Doc. Never eat at a place called Mom's. Never sleep with a woman whose troubles are worse than your own."

Ha Ha! Now I am inclined to read A Walk on the Wild Side.

_____

British director Mike Newell said, "It's my view that children are violent, dirty, corrupt anarchists. Just adults-in-waiting, basically."

And once again, a quotation has suggested a theme for a new short story... now all I have to do is sit my butt down on the chair and write it.

Ha! What else is new?
_____

Maybe I can come up with some more interesting stuff for tomorrow's blog entry.

"Aloha..."

__________

"I could no more define poetry than a terrier can define a rat."
--A.E. Housman

No comments:

Post a Comment