Wednesday, March 2, 2011

My Weight Today Is 157.4 Pounds . . .


Two months ago I weighed 160 pounds. This means that I have lost 2.6 pounds. That's an average of 1.3 pounds per month. And I am eating just as much as I had been eating before I started keeping a record. The only difference is that I have stopped adding sugar to anything... completely. And I have been eating fewer bread and cheese sandwiches, replacing them with mixed salad greens (including baby spinach) and sprinkled with raisins, nuts, blueberries -- topped with a strawberry.

(Ken's Ranch Dressing was dribbled on after taking the picture)

By the way . . . I am weighing myself using the new digital scale that I bought a while back through Amazon.com and that is how I am able to announce my weight with such accuracy. One thing I have discovered, though, is that one must position the scale on a hard, flat surface to get a consistently accurate readout, no carpets nor slightly rounded tile floors.

When I reach 145 pounds, I will add additional calories to my daily intake, enough to maintain that weight level.
_____

Some of the Robert Lowell poems seem to say so much more than I (in my obtuseness) take away with me after reading them.

obtuse
adjective
1. not quick or alert in perception, feeling, or intellect; not sensitive or observant; dull.
2. not sharp, acute, or pointed; blunt in form.
3. (of a leaf, petal, etc.) rounded at the extremity.
4. indistinctly felt or perceived, as pain or sound.

At times I find myself wishing that I was smarter than I know I am. But most of the time, aware of the socially conditioned behavior of those assorted intellectual giants known to me, I am so glad that such a foul and hateful fate, such a stifled and savorless state has happily not yet befallen me.


After a hearty New England breakfast,
I weigh two hundred pounds
this morning. Cock of the walk,
I strut in my turtle-necked French sailor's jersey
before the metal shaving mirrors,
and see the shaky future grow familiar
in the pinched, indigenous faces
of these thoroughbred mental cases,
twice my age and half my weight.
We are all old-timers,
each of us holds a locked razor.

From Walking in the Blue
by Robert Lowell
_____

Theodor Seuss Geisel -- writing as Dr. Seuss, spent nine months writing what would become The Cat in the Hat (1957). That book is 1,702 words long, but it uses only 220 different words.

The Cat In The Hat


Note: The above fact was taken from The Writer's Almanac and (respectfully) reproduced here.

_____

The Washington Post has an archive containing Five Myths About various subjects. The subjects are: Abraham Lincoln, Ronald Reagan, The Super Bowl, George W. Bush, and there is even one titled Five Myths About Facebook. And there are many other subjects.

This archive could conceivably transform some of those individuals who 'believe' themselves to be highly educated into 'truly' educated persons.

Hm. I wonder how many people will actually take the time to read those archives.

_____

The New York Review Of Books has a short piece written by Larry McMurtry about Marilyn Monroe. I found it interesting.

Marilyn Monroe

__________

No comments:

Post a Comment